Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 wagon and the spring was broke on the tailgate on the passenger side ( that's what I was told it was called ) I bought one from a guy and thought it would be in good shape, when I received it, it was pitted on the same end where mine was broke. You can see in the pictures. My question is could I weld a few beads over the pits and smooth it out and it be strong or should I find a better. Even thought could I make one out of a new piece of rod. Would appreciate any in put.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Not sure if that will work. I imagine these are spring steel or heat treated in some way. Welding my take out the spring tension. I am just guessing on this so don't take it as gospel.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
It looks like you are showing the torsion bar; the piece where one end connects to the wagon body on the passenger side and the other connects on the inside of the tailgate on the drivers side? As the name suggests, there is a lot of flex involved, if you will, with the tailgate opening and closing. I'd personally try to replace it before repairing it based on you saying its in similar shape to the one you had that broke. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys... I figured it was a special material, like you said Pat. Mine was broke when I bought the car, so don't know if this one would last. Might see if I can find another one first.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 4 of 4 Posts