Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Followed my son in our 63 wagon with a 250 cid this afternoon and seen something that I am not sure about. When he pulled his foot off the go pedal at about 65 to get off the freeway smoke started to swirl out of the tail pipe. While running down the highway I didnt see anything........
What would case this?

Rick

·
Registered
315 Posts
Just a little oil being sucked down the intake valve guides under the closed throttle high vacuum condition. I would not sweat it.

HTH

Jeff

·
Registered
471 Posts
Nothing to terrible. It will get worse after a while because that usually means the valve guides in the heads are wearing out. Or in your case with the 250 the valve guides in the head. I drove a car with it for a while and nothing really happened until one day something let loose and it just started pouring smoke out.

Don't sweat too much. Any motor shop can fix it relatively quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was leaning toward the valve guides but wanted to hear some idea's. Well I guess her project may need to be moved up.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Ya I wouldn't let it go forever. Could last a week or could last a few months. Good luck with it

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
mabe the valve stem seals are baked,try some new umbrella seals
I agree. The stem seals are toast. Wont leave you stranded. Just a simple issue. He might be pushing exhaust or fuel through the seals also during the compression cycle. Again, not a major concern. Just something that old engines do. JR

·
Registered
471 Posts
I agree. The stem seals are toast. Wont leave you stranded. Just a simple issue. He might be pushing exhaust or fuel through the seals also during the compression cycle. Again, not a major concern. Just something that old engines do. JR
If it pushing compression past the valves to leak around the valve stems then the valves are seating and will cause low compression. Like I said in a previous post do a simple compression test. If comprssion is low squirt a bit of oil in the cylinder and retest if compression rises its the rings if it stays the same its valves no seating.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts