Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having issues with my tail light/ blinker sockets. I have a 72 Nova and they fit sloppily and only work on and off. I can get them to work but any bump and they stop. The bulb doesn't push down all the way making the contact to the prongs not connect. I need to find some OEM sockets or any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Not sure if this helps but assuming you can 'wobble' a little across the pure OEM-ONLY double white line.....

I had to replace all my 72' tail - bulb sockets as they were old, loose and brittle like me.

Taking the sockets and a taillight assembly to my local auto parts store, we sourced, cross referenced and test-fitted from the original (unavailable) sockets to a newer style that worked. (Sorry, brand & part # lost to history).

Perfect fit? Nope, but with a slight modification (removal) to one of the "fingers" I got them in and they're tight. (yes, they will come back out.) Low cost option for you maybe?

·
Registered
1972 Nova
339 Posts
Are you sure the issue is the bulb not seating all the way down, and not just the ground connection with the tail lights? To get mine to work all of the time, I ran a small cable (speaker wire size) from the ground portion of the socket to the tail light support in the trunk. A little dab of silicon will keep the socket in the tail light.

Otherwise, take a look on Summit Racing. It looks like a lot of their sockets have a separate ground already, so no more messing with trying to ground through the tail light into the body.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I am having issues with my tail light/ blinker sockets. I have a 72 Nova and they fit sloppily and only work on and off. I can get them to work but any bump and they stop. The bulb doesn't push down all the way making the contact to the prongs not connect. I need to find some OEM sockets or any help is appreciated.
I quit jacking with mine and soldered on actual gnd wires then bolted to body

1 - 4 of 4 Posts