Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed the other day that the bezels on my 67 were discolored. I almost felt ashamed as I drove home that I may have been disrespecting the Nova for an undetermined amount of time! Tried simple green, rubbing compound, and NeverDull so far - wont budge! Anyone seen this before? other products to try? Just trying to avoid spending $200 on two new assemblies... but I absolutely will in the next few days if I cant resolve this!
Automotive tail & brake light Car Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle
Car Automotive lighting Automotive parking light Hood Motor vehicle
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Grille Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

·
7,260 Posts
I'm not up to speed on the older models but I wonder if it's anodized aluminum ?.

If so I have some of that on my 74 and never could get them to shine or get defects out and ended up mixing up some Red Devil lye in warm to hot water and after some fizzing, the anodizing came off and then was able to wet sand the part and polish it.

While I do not have pictures, the polished aluminum has a different shine to it and since the anodizing was removed I have to repolish it now and then.

I've read about people using easy off oven cleaner but when I tried it it didn't work. Maybe I was doing something wrong, I don't know but the lye worked for me.

I also took a PVC tube and capped one end to where I could soak my hood edge trim and this too worked out fine.

Plenty of articles out there on stripping anodized aluminum if that is what you have.

Jim

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
those 66-67 tail bezels are anodized aluminum. unless your lucky to have a pair of the canadian chromed pot metal style.

·
Registered
131 Posts
McGuire's has a spot remover. I have used there products on my bike with some degree of success. I always try the least harsh material first. Obviously I would remove it from the car before I applied anything because some products could damage paint.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts