Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so ive tried to find a complete step by step tach install for a 69 nova (350 hei ignition), including wiring and which color wires to splice into and have only been able to find bits and piece. So i was hoping you guys can help fill in the holes, that way we have a complete tach install for everyone to use.

I have a 5" autometer tach with 4 wires

Black - ground (attaching it straight to the neg terminal on the battery)

Green- rpm reading (with hei, the coil is directly on the distributor, there is a slot on the coil that says TACH, attach female connector to green wire, the slide it onto the male connector at that TACH location)

Red- switched power (there is a pink wire leading from your ignition switch and you should splice the red wire to that)
K, here is my first problem. My splice is for a 16 gauge wire and the pink wire is pretty thick. Does anyone know of another 16 gauge switched power wire i can splice into? (Please specify location and color)

White- lighting (this wire should be attached to a wire that has power when the light switch is turned on
K, so there are 7 wires leading from the light switch. Brown, orange, light blue, white, green, purple, red. Does anyone know which wire to splice into?

So i hope the little info i had helps and i hope you guys can help fill in the holes, so we all have a complete how to on tach wiring!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, thats where the green wire attaches. Does a switched power wire go to that 12v input? Cuz if so i can splice the red wire from the tach to that.

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
here is a lnk to the schematic for your 69 nova. for the tach light, I'd tap into the gray wire that feeds the heater light, and for power, use the small gage pink wire that feeds the factory dash/gauges. It is keyed hot. Test each wire before using to make sure it has the power you are looking for.

http://www.novareference.com/manuals/Wiring/1969/69_Nova_wiring_left.jpg

Frank

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Tach light.

Tach light to switch ignition 12 volt - key on. Old guys do this so when it is dark inside car, but not time for headlights yet, and it is easy.

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
The light and power connections can be made at the fuse box, just plug the wires into the correct slots.

LPS is the instrument lighting and IGN or ACC is the 12v key on power

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Awesome, thank you philip. Tach works like a champ!

So to sum it all up for everyone

Wiring a 5" autometer tach on a 350 with HEI

Black- goes to any good ground
Green - goes to TACH inlet on coil on top of the distributor
Red- goes IGN or ACC on fuse block
White- goes to LPS on fuse block

If tach needle jumps around put a 10,000 ohm/ 1/2 watt resister on the green wire.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts