Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had that problem when my old points set started closing up due to wear of the rubbing block. If you have points, that may be your problem. Check the gap and dwell.

Keith
64ssv84spd
:chev:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Jumping tach

Years ago I bought an Equus tach at a garage sale. It was like new and a good deal(in box). When I hooked it up, it too jumped up, only slightly now and again.

I phoned the tech line and they said to go to radio shack and buy a potentiometer and place in line with the tach feed wire.

I did exactly that, and it worked.

Knowing what I know now, obviously the filtering part of the circuit was sub-par. Todate, I've never heard of this happening with any Auto-meter or better quality tach.

If your jumping tach is a new developement, I'd check that the tach feed comes nowhere near any high voltage plug wires.

Are you running it off a box, stock dist, etc.??

A small, but frustrating problem.:)

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
I had mine do that same thing (it's a cheapo Equus type tach) during my Nova's second inagural run at the track. It bounced like crazy for a couple of seconds, scared the @#[email protected] out of me, but I didn't let off. :D It may have been due to a combination of running an old tach with an MSD box and barely kissing the rev limiter.

Funny thing is, it hasn't happened since, but a new tach (Autogage or Autometer) is on my shopping list now. :rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts