Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My T56 Magnum finally arrived. It took a little while because Keisler was fab'ing the front plate. They already have a setup for our SBC and BBC motors using the mechanical linkage. I also got their crossmember and drive shaft to simplify things.

My first observation: I'm going to need a transmission jack. This thing is heavy. I'm used to lifting 4 speeds into place myself Not this thing, it is heavy. I'm going to be out of town, so I should get into full swing the first week of June.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Out with the old and in with the new

Finally got started on the install today. I've got the Muncie out and started mocking the Tremec up. It is hitting at the front of the tunel, but it looks like I won't have to cut too much.
Out with the old

In with the new

Just a little tight

A pic of the gear.

·
Registered
847 Posts
yeah! that is cool, the only thing i want in my car is a 6 speed. i just don't know how to drive stick:eek: How much is the driveshaft being shortened?

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah! that is cool, the only thing i want in my car is a 6 speed. i just don't know how to drive stick:eek: How much is the driveshaft being shortened?
Driving a stick is not hard. I've taught my kids and they've taught their friends. You can learn in less than an hour.

I don't have the exact measurement on the drive shaft yet, but it will be about 4 inches shorter.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the bellhousing run out measured tonight. It was less than .002. Not bad for a 40 year old bellhousing. I also got the seats and carpet out of the way for cutting the floor. The good news is I don't think I will need to cut very much.

Set up the magnetic mount

Got my measurements

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I made a little more progress on the transmission. I've got the bellhousing clearanced for the shift rail and I have the floor cut. Also got the drive shaft measured.

Clearanced the bellhousing. There is a support rib inside the bellhousing that I didn't want to save.

I had to cut about half way through the floor support.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Updating my progress

I got the transmission in today. I still have to patch the hole and install the driveshaft, but it is in.

I could not have done this without this $79 transmission jack. It made removing the old transmission and installing the new one a one man job. The only help I needed was turning over the engine while I was checking the bellhousing run out and my daughter pushed the clutch in while I pushed the transmission in.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=39178

You will need to change the tie down straps to something with smaller buckles.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47727

The Keisler kit is very complete. Once I get the driveshaft this week, I will have everything. The only additional parts to buy were

1. 8 10mm*1.5*40 mm bolts. The 30mm long bolts holding the transmission to the adapter plate were a little short, so I got longer ones. 35mm long would have been perfect, but I couldn't find any.

2. 1 piece of 12"*12"14 guage sheet metal to reinforce the floor support.

3. 1 Piece of 24"*24 inch 20 gauge sheet metal to patch the floor. I could have cut smaller holes and got by with half that much.

4. 4 quarts of transmission fluid

The only part of the Kit I needed to modify was the cross member. The bolt holes didn't match up to my frame holes. Drill new holes in the frame and crossmember and it is good as new.

I got the plate, bellhousing and clutch installed. You can also hook up the clutch linkage before puting the transmission in.

I did have to cut the floor support

I covered up the parts of the floor I didn't need to cut. Part of the hole is left from the 4 speed shifter. Keisler has low profile bolts for the mid-shift cover plate that will give you more room to avoid cutting as much.

More pics to follow when I get the drive shaft in.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I hope the install went well. I want to do the same with my '70 Nova.

I've read tons on this site about the t5 and t56, LT1 vs LS6. The problem I am having is, I've found a t56 from an SSR. Information said they had LS2 engines. I quit worry about GM motors at the LT1. Is the LS2 the same or similar block/bolt pattern as the LS6? I know the t56 has a higher first gear and beefier 1/2 gears because of the weight of the SSR. Are there parts available to install this in my car? I have read the posts and I don't want a 5spd. I'm pretty set on the 6spd and I'm getting a great deal on it. I could really use some help.

Tony

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The torque rating is 700 lbs and 700 horse for the T-56 magnum. The gears are 2.66, 1.78, 1.30. 1, .80 and .63. There is also a 2.97 first and .5 sixth gear set.

This is actually an LSX transmission with a plate. Kiesler is the only place I know of with a plate for the T-56 magnum.

Tony,

If you are looking for a used T-56, An LSX trany is the easiest to install. The the readily available adpapter plate and special pilot bearing allow you to bolt it up to the stock bellhousing and used your stock linkage. I belive the SSR transmission is unique. Do your research. If it is the same as the Camaro or GTO trans, it will work.

It is an excellent transmission. Shifting is very smooth and I can cruise at 70 MPH at 2200 RPM with a 3.73 axle.

The nice thing about the Magnum is the multiple shifter locations. The shifter is in the middle of the tunel, but I used the same shift arm that was on my Muncie and it put the shifter in about the same location.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
The torque rating is 700 lbs and 700 horse for the T-56 magnum. The gears are 2.66, 1.78, 1.30. 1, .80 and .63. There is also a 2.97 first and .5 sixth gear set.

This is actually an LSX transmission with a plate. Kiesler is the only place I know of with a plate for the T-56 magnum.

Tony,

If you are looking for a used T-56, An LSX trany is the easiest to install. The the readily available adpapter plate and special pilot bearing allow you to bolt it up to the stock bellhousing and used your stock linkage. I belive the SSR transmission is unique. Do your research. If it is the same as the Camaro or GTO trans, it will work.

It is an excellent transmission. Shifting is very smooth and I can cruise at 70 MPH at 2200 RPM with a 3.73 axle.

The nice thing about the Magnum is the multiple shifter locations. The shifter is in the middle of the tunel, but I used the same shift arm that was on my Muncie and it put the shifter in about the same location.

700hp/700 ft lbs sounds fairly tough, I wonder if my 550hp 468 with a 200 hp NOS hit would pop it?

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
700hp/700 ft lbs sounds fairly tough, I wonder if my 550hp 468 with a 200 hp NOS hit would pop it?
Probably not. Those are warranty ratings that are applied to production cars such as a new supercharged Vette or Austin Martin. It is essenitally a TR6060 with a different tail housing to accomodate the aftermarket. It uses the same shifters as the TKOs

Edit: However, I can break anything if I try hard enough.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts