Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i know this info is somewhere. if you will tell me where i will find it but right now i need a little help. i have a 63 longroof, 250 block, 194 head, offey manifold with a 390 holley and split exaust with a three speed on the column. well anyway the clutch and trans are not enough and i want to put a T5 in. where can i get info(hopefully detailed) to make this change. i drove it to bowling green last week and didnt have any real trouble, but i can make the clutch slip in third. i have a t5 anyways and will use it. can i use my same bellhousing? what kind of clutch etc. thanks a lot for any help. jim

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Which T-5 do you have. 3rd gen Camaro and S10 truck tranys will bolt up to your bellhousing. With a 250, I'd avoid any T-5 with the 14 spline input shaft. look for one with a 26 spline input shaft.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi Jim,

If the bellhousing in your 63 is stock, it is likely the #383 bellhousing and you'll need the #309 bellhousing to fit the T5. Your clutch and flywheel may also be the 9 inch stock 6 cyl parts and you'll need to source the 10.5 inch flywheel/clutch setup. All linkage will remain the same, but you'll need to modify your crossmember, shorten the driveshaft and cut a hole in the floor. If you have the stock bench seat, shifter clearance may be a problem.

All the mods are relatively easy and the trans should work well with your 3.36 rear gears. Try and find a T5 from a V-8 Camaro. A world class or non-world class V-8 trans should work well with your combo.

Good luck,

Dave

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Hi Jim,

If the bellhousing in your 63 is stock, it is likely the #383 bellhousing and you'll need the #309 bellhousing to fit the T5. Your clutch and flywheel may also be the 9 inch stock 6 cyl parts and you'll need to source the 10.5 inch flywheel/clutch setup. All linkage will remain the same, but you'll need to modify your crossmember, shorten the driveshaft and cut a hole in the floor. If you have the stock bench seat, shifter clearance may be a problem.

All the mods are relatively easy and the trans should work well with your 3.36 rear gears. Try and find a T5 from a V-8 Camaro. A world class or non-world class V-8 trans should work well with your combo.

Good luck,

Dave
What is the difference between the 383 and 309 bellhousings?

·
Registered
682 Posts
The #383 (last three numbers of the part number) has a smaller hole for the trans to fit into than the #309 bellhousing. 62-63's used the #383 and 64 and later Novas used the #309. Both have the 7 o'clock clutch fork location.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts