Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have picked up two B/W T5 transmission from a friend of a friend who had them sitting in his garage. He said one is from a camaro and the other a truck. They both have different length input shafts and tailshafts, with the shifter in different positions.

Is anyone currently running a T5, and if so can you lend some assistance on insitiation, shifter location/tailshafts/gear ratios....etc.

This is my first time building a car and I would like to maximize what I have.

Thanks
-Rob

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
There is some numbers on the side of the trans you can look up.

FYI a T5 trans is a real weak trans and will not live long behind even a mild 350.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Find out what the Camaro trans is. If it is a V-8 WC trans, it will hold up if you don't abuse it. If it has 14 spline input, it is the weaker V-6 and 1-4 transmission.

If either is a WC transmission, they could be rebuilt with better parts.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
The World Class t-5 is a decent trans for cruising. Put any horse power through it and it will not last. All depends on what you plan to do with the car. I currently have 6 t-5's from various cars I have had. All of them need one part or another due to not being able to handle power.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all your advise. I am not planning on racing, just cruising around town. I laugh and say I will have the only nova with a car seat.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
I used to put car seats in Novas, Chevelles and anthing else I drove when my kids were young. I hope one day to put them in for grand kids.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
i have a camaro V8 T5 with a s10 tailpiece in my 55 gmc. i went with the s10 tailpiece for the mechanical speedo drive and shifter position. its been behind a 283 for 3 years now with lots of mile including a trailer. as long as you don't abuse it it should last.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts