Chevy Nova Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Powerglide Crossmember using with a T 5 5speed install in a 69 Nova .

# 10 - - Lay your c/m on top of u'r frame sides . Install your p/g cross member onto your "tail-shaft Rubber Tranny Mount" (use metric bolts in the tailhousing , and SAE bolts into the lower rubber mount holes) . I did mark the 'center line' on each side (each end) , and lowered in position - - . In my case - - - - the I used the stock rear 'sub - frame hole' ; mark up through that hole ; remove c/m ; and , drill a 3/8" hole at that mark (which was on the 'center - line, on each side.

# 11 - -

# 12 - - Drill a 3/8" hole on each end ; at your mark .

# 13 - - Too keep from "crushing" the end of the c/m - - - I had some 'spacers' that fit good . . . = 1 spacer( or flat washers) on each end .

- - I 'did not use any adaptors' for my install .
Darren . . . it says that for a 96 T 5 trans - - changed to the "Ford Bolt Mounting Ears" . . . you may need an adaptor . Because, I did not use any adaptor plate ; I did have too cut off my "input - shaft - retainer" and, I did cut Off my "Input - Shaft - Tip" (the tip that goes into the f/w 'pilot-bushing' . I read "lugnutz65's T 5 Page" and, in this photo - - - you can see
a GM 'Saginaw 4-speed' setting on the floor - - - I had that too measure from .

# 14 - - Showing the 'Saginaw 4 - speed sitting on the floor .

I hope this may help any Nova owners that may wish too do a 5speed swap . . . . (sorry for the long - - - speech ) .

Be safe . . . & Shift Smooth . . . jim

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Wow, that’s a lot of info. I ordered the 83 bell housing and now I guess I’ll start looking for the adapter plate, good catch on the bolt pattern. I believe the clutch for that bell housing is 10.4 inches or 10 3/8. But it seems the 83 T5 input shaft was a 14 spline, so I can’t get clutch for a 83 camaro. I’m slowly starting to figure things out as far as parts. I have more to say and ask but I have to get ready for work.
Thanks Darren

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
OK so I found an 83 Camaro clutch kit with 26 spline and I think I can use the clutch fork for an 83 as well. The pilot bushing appears to be the same in my car as in a 96 camaro. Jim I have to look at lugnutz65’s page to see why the input shaft retainer and tip needs to be cut. All this info is awesome, can’t say that enough. Going to find an adapter plate and read up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Darren . . . .. that's cool , was just FYI , for a S-10 (S-15) type T 5 . Plus if you do have 'Buckets' . . . . that's cool also, shifter will work . Being you already have the pedals - -
That helps . (I had too add all that stuff, when I changed over . If I can help out - - - anytime , . . . . .. Also, I did - Not remove my "floor (rubber mat) cover " or my bench seat , when I installed my T 5. Don't make your floor ('shifter' ) hole tooo big ; for me the stock S-15 " shifter boot " works very well, also . . . . . . have fun . . . . . . jim

WaterDog . . . . . Thank you for those photos . # 1 - I like the way you did your "under dash gauges" ; I did something very close to that ( and, still use the ' idiot lights ' .
Then, on your tranny crossmember ? Did you "mod " your 'center section ' of that crossmember ? just checking . Also your ' shifter position ' came out very well , I like it . . . . jim
Yes, I had to modify the crossmember. A little trimming, an little strengthening, and a little lengthening.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
OK so I found an 83 Camaro clutch kit with 26 spline and I think I can use the clutch fork for an 83 as well. The pilot bushing appears to be the same in my car as in a 96 camaro. Jim I have to look at lugnutz65’s page to see why the input shaft retainer and tip needs to be cut. All this info is awesome, can’t say that enough. Going to find an adapter plate and read up.

Hi Darren . . . .. I am thinking - - - That if You USE AN Adaptor Mounting Plate . . . then, you may - not need too cut-off u'r "input-shaft-retainer - cover" = = = or = = = you may
NOT Need to cut your Input Shaft "TIP" , either .

The way that I read 'lugnutz' page - - - - is , If You Use a T 5 Trans - - and, DO - NOT - need an adaptor . . . . Then your Input TIP & Input RETAINER - - WILL BE TOO LONG.
Thus . . the reason for " cutting tip & retainer - OFF " . ( understand ? ) .

IF You Need too Use an Adaptor Plate ; Then, That " Plate Spaces the Tranny Back Into The Correct position " .

Make sure BEFORE You CUT Anything ( Which ever way you go ) .

This guy makes an adaptor plate . . . that you might use :

later, jim

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Hello, Jim I was looking at that adapter plate and he specifically mentions the S10 transmission, I was going to call him on Monday to make sure it works with the Camaro. I just don’t know enough to know if there’s a difference. When I went back to get the link I saw what you said about cutting so thank you. Those pictures laying out how to mod the C/M are gold. Where did you get the plastic spacer?
Catch you later, Darren

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Hi Darren . . . .

My main point for THE CUTTING is : one style of T 5 . . you need too do the cut-off (with-out using an adaptor plate ) .
Then, with using a ' plate ' . . that moves u'r T 5 back , on your bell housing . . . . (meaning : if you cut things off - - you could end-up too short) .

example : NO Adaptor . . for me . . . Thus, I cut off both input shaft retainer & input shaft - TIP .

and, Jay talks all about this on his ' T 5 Page ' . . . . . . . . (I just didn't want you to cut things off ,and . . end up toooo short ) .

That Plastic Spacer - - I had an old plastic board that I cut that from. So, the reason too mod the trans C/M . . was , when I got the tranny installed - - it looked to be very close to 'hitting' my trans floor. I did - not want the trans too hit (bump against) my floor . . . so, that was better than cutting any - more metal from the floor 'hump'. Those pictures show that my car has very good floors (Arizona car - no Rust) . For the 'spacer' . . . . it might work well without the spacer, which can be removed very easy . . . so far , all is working very well
( This March 18th . . will be two years on the road) . . .
BY FAR THE BEST CHANGE I've DONE TOO MY NOVA . . . . . It has made my car - - - FUN Too DRIVE Again . . . . . . . . jim

Novack Adaptors

Advance Adaptors

Vintage Metalworks Adaptors

I think they all make T 5 trans adaptors (some for using the T 5 in Jeeps .

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Darren . . . I have a ?

What kind of Tramsmission are you using now ? If you have a standard tranny - - you might use that for some measurements (you could bolt on u'r adaptor plate and
measure from that . maybe ) . . . just thinking .

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Hey Jim, I’m happy to hear how the swap for you was so positive. I’m excited to get mine in. I’m starting to get the picture with the input shaft retainer/tip. I have a th350 with a b/m floor shifter. When I get bellhousing and adapter plate I will definitely take measurements before any cutting. I’m about to check out those other 2 adapter company’s you listed.
Much appreciated Darren

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Darren, Your late model V6 T5 has a Ford bell housing bolt pattern. You might need to look for a bell housing that will mate the Ford case to the Chevy sbc. Maybe a Lakewood or something will work for this.. All the T5 cases went to this bolt pattern in the mid 90’s. The V8 powered F bodies were using the T56 in 93 so just the V6 Camaro’s and S10’s got the T5’s. Maybe a 4.3 liter S10 bell could work. They are not very common..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Hey Nova Thug, thanks for the info. Jim pointed out the Ford bolt pattern and I had already purchased an 83 Camaro bell housing for a mechanical clutch that fits in Water Dog’s 64. Jim also pointed me in the direction of adapter plate and feels it might play out better with the input shaft. I do appreciate your help and pictures. Awesome people on this site.
Darren

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
. . . Darren - - - stay with it . . . . I really LIKE My T 5 . ( look at it like - - 'If They Can Do - it . . then . . so can I ' ) .

. . . Hi Joe . . . . when are you going O D . . . . ? ( It's Fun to drive , plus better the mpg , too . . . . . ) . Read that as " Happy Camper" . . !

I'm just saying ( as " Big D" , would say ) .. . . . . jim

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I’m itchin to be a shiftin but will probably do an engine swap as well.. I tempted to. Do a 4.8/5.3 LS. Nothing too crazy, just a nice, clean, and simple swap to a modern engine setup.. But then a brake upgrade becomes a must at least up front.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Hi Jim, I received the bell housing today and it looks good. I Called on the adapter plate and ordered it and bearing retainer. Now I’m down to the fly wheel, zbar and linkage, clutch kit and clutch fork. At that point I can start fitting, marking the floor, and mod c/m with the help of my neighbor’s welding skills. I’m pushing forward. Updates to come.

Nova Thug, if you do the ls, are you going to put a t56in?

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
That's much better . . . . . as far as "keeping the floor intact" & not having too 'cut out a Big - Hole' , in u'r floors . You can go back (at my c/m pic's) , and see how nice my (under) floors are . I felt bad even cutting my shifter hole . . . . . . . . seeing how a lot of guys , replacing their rotten out floors .

1st gear. . .
2nd gear. . . . .
3rd gear . . . . . .
4th gear . . . . . . . .

5th gear . . . . . . . . . I can (did) get 21-22 mpg . . . . . . . i'm gone . . . .

41 - 60 of 67 Posts