Chevy Nova Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Oh and I wasn’t too worried about the speedo connection, right now I’m running a GPS speedometer and was eventually going to get aftermarket that is probably electronic anyway. Unless that is something I should be considering now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Hi Darren . . .

Ok - just FYI . Look at my post # 10 - - pic # 1 ......... Look on the pass. side of u'r trans - - close to the 'Fill - plug' area . . . . . you may see a ' casting circle , & year date there ' ?

( I think ) the circle that you show , maybe a 'production ( assembly line) shift number' . . . . . . the casting year # should be a circle with 2 digits ( I think). But, u'r tag # tells you
what year & car the trans came from = = 96 Camaro - V6 - w/c . You may even have better gears than my T 5 ratio. And, I really like all my gears . .
(so far) even with my stock
3.08 rear - end. So, if you see the casting date - - on the main case . . . . you can also look on the top cover & on the tailhousing - - to see if they all have the same
casting numbers (see if they all match). That's a good way to say that (maybe) , your tranny has not been apart. ( maybe ) .

# 1 - - look here for my "tail housing cast number circle - -beside the shifter box " . . . . # - 92 . ( trans tailhousing 'cast in '92 , for a '93 year model Sonoma) .
. . . .. this picture is a GMC 93 Sonoma truck "tail housing with the Forward 'Shifter Box Position" .

My T 5 , also used a hyd. throw-out bearing . . (in the truck ) - - I just used all stock clutch linkage & stock t/o bearing . . . . in my Nova .

In u'r pic on the drivers side - - main case - - beside that large ' Torx ' bolt - that switch is u'r " back - up light switch " . Also NOTE : If you need to open-up your trans - - If you were too " Rebuild u'r trans - - - - don't remove that 'Torx Bolt' ( they are very tight, and, you can still get too everything) . Your speedo - VSS switch - is back in the tailhousing -
on the drivers side. If you already run a GPS speedo - - your ' golden ' - - that works .

One more thing : You are aware that some guys say . . . . that the T 5 in Stock Form . . . will not hold-up to any abuse . . . (like a 'Fast V8).

. . . . . later, jim

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Showing my T 5 speedo running off - of GPS .
Working very good . . . . using my stock Nova Dash Mech. speedo .

and, Now I really like you're Nova even more . . . . . . . Great Pictures . . . . . . . thanks for posting . . . jim

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Jim, I looked all around the transmission, and just had those circles with a 5 in it. But it was on the side of the case top cover and tail piece. I’m not trying to rebuild right now, just trying to get the swap done and if it should need it later I’ll pull it then. My car was born with 3 on tree so the pedal is already there. Waterdog used a 83 camaro bellhousing 14060627 ( I got the bellhousing # off of
1983 Camaro/Firebird Bellhousing - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards ). The input shaft is 1-1/8 in. with 26 splines. Also I’ve read the same thing about t5s even w/c t5s but I’m 48 and put too much time and $ in it to be too rough on her. I, with the help of my neighbor and a great how to book, rebuilt the 1974 2 bolt main Small block. I put a mild cam in it with Edelbrock aluminum heads and it’s 340 hp so I’m willing to chance it. Thanks for the compliment on my nova.
Darren

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
This is the thread of the engine build

New member in GA

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Awesome the pictures help, I put bucket seats in so that should work well

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Darren . . . .. that's cool , was just FYI , for a S-10 (S-15) type T 5 . Plus if you do have 'Buckets' . . . . that's cool also, shifter will work . Being you already have the pedals - -
That helps . (I had too add all that stuff, when I changed over . If I can help out - - - anytime , . . . . .. Also, I did - Not remove my "floor (rubber mat) cover " or my bench seat , when I installed my T 5. Don't make your floor ('shifter' ) hole tooo big ; for me the stock S-15 " shifter boot " works very well, also . . . . . . have fun . . . . . . jim

WaterDog . . . . . Thank you for those photos . # 1 - I like the way you did your "under dash gauges" ; I did something very close to that ( and, still use the ' idiot lights ' .
Then, on your tranny crossmember ? Did you "mod " your 'center section ' of that crossmember ? just checking . Also your ' shifter position ' came out very well , I like it . . . . jim

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Jim, I appreciate all the information on the S 15. I’m 6 foot tall though and in everything I drive the seat is almost as back as far as it can go. That’s why I was looking at the Camaro T5 to move the shifter back closer to me. When I first got my car with the bench seat somebody before me already modified a bracket on the seat to push it back further that the shifter might’ve worked. I definitely have more questions and appreciate yours, Waterdog’s, and Nova Thug’s help, pictures, and knowledge. My work van, my Yukon, and my wife’s Passat are all automatics. I’m just excited to get this transmission in my nova so I have my toy to play with. My next question to anyone who wants to entertain is how the transmission actually connects to the engine? I feel like an idiot, but I spent my whole life learning carpentry. No questions there lol. When I did the engine rebuild, we disconnected the transmission from the engine in the car and left the transmission there. I know I had to unbolt the bellhousing and torque converter from the flex plate, vice a versa for putting it back. So as far as the input shaft or any of that I have no clue, just put back what was there before. Thanks Darren

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Hi Darren

This is some numbers that I used for my install - - - from a power glide trans to my T 5 . I did have too change-out my p/g brake pedal to the small brake pedal & add the clutch
pedal . I did use all stock (3rd gen) clutch linkage & bought this clutch kit from Summit : " Perfection Clutch Kit - # MU-5469-1A" (then, bought another clutch disc to fit my T 5 input shaft
- - Summit : T 5 (stock) S-10 14 spline . 10 1/2" x 1" dia input shaft . : clutch disc # ADD - 716104 . - - - you will need the correct clutch disc for your 26 spline input shaft . Use the year Camaro that u'r trans came from . I also bought a SBC flywheel # 50 - 6516 . . . 153 teeth . I got a new small round top Rubber Boot - # J8134064 .
ARP flywheel bolts - - # 100 - 2801 . . . (these are 12 point bolt heads ; I did NOT use these ) . Summit Flywheel bolts ; 7/16 x 20 x 1" = # SUM - 910207 - - 6 point flywheel bolts .
Then, I used Summit ; New Pressure plate Bolts : # ARP - 130-2201 .
Check u'r crankshaft for a "pilot-bushing" - - I used the bushing that came with the clutch kit .

I did install my trans the 1st time with no clutch disc - - - just too mark the underside of my floor - for the shifter hole. Then, I installed my trans , after I cut my floor. DO - NOT cut u'r shifter hole - too big - you can trim bigger . I did drill each corner with a 7/16" bit , and used my "metal nibbler" to cut the floor .

# 1 - - Marking shifter hole , from under the floor. drill holes in each corner ( I cut my hole from the inside , Check with my S-15 stock "shifter Boot" , and cut between the holes.

# 2 - - I did Not remove my 'Floor Mat . . or . . my front seat' - -

# 3 - - Then, I even ' cut ' my floor hole "smaller" - - - look at the red - dots . You can always enlarge that hole - - worked great , for me .

# 4 - - A picture showing the trans installed.

Look at the next post : my crossmember " mod " - - to lower the trans - just so the trans "would not" hit (or bump) against my floor board .

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I used my stock P/G crossmember for my T 5 install . Go back to the - Post # 39 , look at picture #3 . . . . look at the tranny "top cover" ; look at how close it is against my floor.
Then, I did mod my c/m , just to let the tranny drop down and clear my floorboard . It may - not - matter . . but, was very easy too cut - out - the - center - and - lower that section a
small amount . Plus, doing this 'mod' . . . you can work on your table , and, not under the car .
Note : for my car - I used my P/G crossmember & my P/G trans rubber mount , with the P/G driveshaft 'slip-yoke' . (each part fits both trannies) .

# 5 - - Mark your c/m center section . . . and, remove the "raised section" - - make u'r cut wide enough for your ' Rubber trans Mount too fit ' .

# 6 - - Only cut the top section out .

# 7 - - Fit your 'plate into the cut-out section . I just used what I had (scrap) . I did drill my mount holes 1st . trim & fit .

# 8 - - Then, you will need to weld up each side area (to keep the c/m from "folding - up " ).

# 9 - - You can see the "drop" in this shot. But, I did use the plastic spacer - - - to raise-up the trans , about 1/2 that distance ( your call - - worked on my install ) .

This T 5 trans IS Longer than my old P/G . . . which means , you will need to have your 'stock driveshaft - cut down too fit . Measure that length after you finish bolting
in your trans .

The next photos show how my 'crossmember fit on my frame' . Again, very easy (your install may be different - - "This Is For A 3rd Gen Nova " ).

21 - 40 of 60 Posts