Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a T5 transmission out of a 96 Chevy Camaro V6 engine. I’m having a hard time trying to find the parts I need to install in my nova with a 350 small block. I believe I need a 309 bell housing but not sure if I need an adapter for the T5 since they were meant for Muncie four-speed. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a T5 in my '64 that I installed many years ago. I think I used a bell housing out of an '84 Camaro. Maybe it was an '83 Camaro. There was only a year or two that the Camaro with T5 used a mechanical clutch before swapping to a hydraulic clutch. I could take photos of it tomorrow if you want to see how the linkage lines up.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be awesome, thanks for the help

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
That really does help. Looks like a mini starter, and I see a bracket on the subframe rail under the steering gearbox in my car that should be for the other side of the z bar. Is that right?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have church boys upper and lower control arms as well as the sway bar. Eventually I’m gonna buy their front clip and that’s when I’m going to do their rack and Pinion steering. I appreciate all the pictures and your help

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
3rd gen has Camaro V8 T5s use a smaller starter. V6 gear sets probably won’t yield the most desirable performance first gear ratio is likely above 4.0:1. Look up the identification number on the tag bolted on the case. It will reveal what gear ratios are in your box. The V6 input shaft is also going to be an issue.. All of this can be overcome but it’s a bit of a case of one thing leads to another.. If you were going to run a V6 with your V6 Camaro then most of this wouldn’t be a problem. So you’re going to convert yours to a V8 or find a Camaro T5 which will have the correct gears, input shaft, and bell housing..

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seems I still have a lot to lean about this swap. Thanks for the info and the links

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Hi Joe . . . . . you beat me to it (for the T 5 info) ; good job . I installed a 93 GMC Sonoma W/C T 5 into my 69 Nova using my stock 250ci engine .
As 'Nova Thug' says - - get the metal "tag number" from u'r tranny & check out the trans gear ratio (from the British v8 org) . . . . . . That's the "TAG # " , not any
casting number - - (each part has a "casting # " (like the top cover, the main case #, tail housing # - - those will NOT tell you anything = just for production numbers) .

IS U'R Nova a standard shift car ? ? ? . . . . . . What year Camaro is the trans ? ? ?

My 69 was a stock P/G car - - I used all stock "clutch parts : pedals , z-bar, linkage & "403" bell housing (for the 3rd gen Nova) . Ok - - read 'lugnutz' - Jay's info - BECAUSE :
depending / starting in '93 , Borg-Warner DID change the front "mounting ears" on all T 5's to the 'Ford style mounting ears' . . . so, (depending on the year) , you may need an adaptor plate . MY Trans is from a 93 GMC truck (2.8 V6 motor) . . . . but, you can see in the picture , that my trans was Cast in the year - 92 - so, it bolted up just like a "Muncie" .

#1 - - Look on the main case at the "circle casting mark - 92 , that's the yr. the trans main case was cast . . . . it bolted up to the '403' stock 3rd gen bell .
. . . . . NO adaptor plate needed .

This T 5 truck had over 300,000 miles, and, the trans was pretty good shape. I did rebuild this trans with a kit from " 5speeds.com " ; I also replaced two gears ,
complete 5th gear & slider, and reverse idler gear. I will also say that I bought my parts & new gears from 5speeds.com (Paul Cangialosi) . . . He IS a member on this site.
I have pictures of my install , and did do a small "mod to my p/g trans. crossmember" . . . . . very easy. I am still using my stock bench seat , and the stock truck shifter at this time. . . . . . . it clears my dash & seat very good . My install & 1st drive was Mar 17 , 2018 . . . . . and, going great ! !

#2 - - using the S-15 Truck shifter

I hope this may help . Then, count the input shaft splines on u'r tranny ? How many splines ? . . . . . . . Remember that my install & parts are for a 3rd gen Nova .

Later . . . . . . jim

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Wolf - - - You may also want to look here for some T 5 5speed bellhousing transmission "adaptor mounting plates" . He makes several different styles of adaptors for mounting up the T 5 trans to different cars / motors . Some real good info . . . . . . . "This one may work for your 96 Camaro T 5" . . . . . . . . you can't have toooo much info .
later , jim

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Hi Jim, I’m Darren. I didn’t see a tag on the transmission last time I looked. I’m kind of in the middle of a restoration of a 72 super beetle for my wife, and this transmission popped up near me and I just jumped at it and thought I would figure it all out later. The guy I got it from had a 96 or 98 Camaro with a V6, which when I looked up world-class t5’s Camaros of that year with V6 had world-class. Borg-Warner T-5 transmission - Wikipedia
Which I’m learning doesn’t work as well as a v8 t5. I’m not trying to drag race with it but may spin the tires once in a while. I have a 1963 with a turbo 350

I have been working crazy hours lately so I haven’t had much time to really look at the transmission but I believe tomorrow with the rain coming in I should have time to really give it a good look. I really do appreciate you guy’s for your help with this.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh she has rally wheels on her now. I’ll post some pictures of other work I’ve done.
Thanks again

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Wolf (Darren) - - - check out those two pictures posted by 'Nova Thug' . . . . Joe's top pic shows just where those small metal tags are mounted to u'r trans - the bolts that hold the
tail housing to the main case (my tag was also located there & on the drivers side). just FYI . The Numbers you need are those ; 1352 - 072 ( all T 5's are "1352" & the gear ratio is the . . . . " 072 " number. That number will tell you (over on the British V8 . org site) - - what kind of car it came from , what years it was used , then what each gear ratio the trans is & the od gear. you can look up-my-trans # - - - Tag # - 1352 - 222 .
Then look at Joe's 2nd picture . . . that's a Camaro tranny with the Camaro "tail-shaft shifter location" . . . see how far back that "shifter is located" - - (it will most likely hit u'r bench seat ) then, look at my Post # 10 -
picture # 1 . You can see the different shifter positions = = the S-10 / S-15 tail housing shifter position IS Better . Also in Post # 10 , Picture # 2 , shows you just where the "shifter
handle" will come up through your floor (or very close to that spot).

Darren, I really like your car . . . looks to be pretty straight body . . . . got the "sleeper look going on there" .
You do need to read up on "lugnutz65" T 5 page . . . . that's some of the best info out there, plus he talks about all this info. - - - - Just about ALL B/W T 5's are the same
between the two types ; World Class & Non W/C . . . and you do know that the 93 & up transmissions ARE VSS Electric Speedo Drive types. I'd say that the biggest difference
for the two types trannys are : For the Nwc trans . . . you can - not buy new (stock) gears . . . (some gears are the same in both types ; like the 'Reverse idler gear - are the same) .
But for 'rebuilding a NWC T 5 - - - if you were too need new (stock) gears . . . you would need another 'used trans' , with good gears inside . BUT, for the W/C T 5 - - - You can still buy NEW Gears - if needed. And, Both types are about the same 'strong - wise' in stock form .
Then, you can read about ' taz3 - T 5 install ' in his 69 Nova 396 BB factory 4 speed car . He installed a 'modified T 5 w/c' using his BB motor & after-market (stronger) gears.

I do have a lot more info, if needed with pictures . . . . . . . jim

Look here for taz3 . . T 5 Install - - - - great info for a V8 car to use a T 5 transmission .

Paul did his T 5 install just before I did mine . The Big Difference is : He used new stronger after market gears . You can buy "after-market" gears , and different gear ratios .

I used all stock w/c gears and new rebuild kit .
You install a T 5 5speed & you DO Need To have your Drive-shaft cut down .

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry for the delay, I found the tag and the numbers appear to be 1352-247 14235. I appreciate all the information that you have for me to look at. I have some pictures of the transmission and other work I’ve done to the car. I’m going to look on the British V8.org site and the t5 thread
today since I have the time. Thanks again for all your help.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts