Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 70 SS, wanting to put in a 5 speed. I have found a T5 out of a 88 Camaro. Minus bell housing but does come with a Hurst shifter. I have read about a World Class T5. How do you know which ones a World Class??

·
Registered
2,812 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Welcome to the site!

If you know anyone or you're comfortable enough working on them, you can swap the tailshaft for one from a fox body and it pretty much bolts in with the shifter being real close to stock with a console. Be aware the tailshaft mount is on a 5º angle, so the shifter leans to the driver. You will need to make a shim or clock a steel bellhousing to get around this.

Take sometime to get familiar with the T-5's and all the interchangeability of their parts. Starting off with a World Class is your best bet, although GM WC T-5's are a bit harder to find the the Fox Body T-5.

They can be built to be as strong as TKO's and half of the weight, there is plenty of misleading information about their strength for those who don't understand these transmissions. I run a custom built T-5 behind a 450hp BB in my 69 Nova with no issues after 3 years. I can shift at 7000+ rpm and dump the clutch without worrying about it exploding.

Here's my build and what i used.
https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613906&highlight=T5+transmission

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks T5

Thanks for the info guys. I am very new here. Well I got lucky and found a WC T5. It came from a 1990 Camaro. I’m searching now for a parts transmission out of an S10 for the shifter housing conversion. Having trouble figuring out which clutch And flywheel I need. The bell housing is on the transmission and set up for hydraulic release bearing.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
1st ...... Welcome to SNS ..... the best Nova Place around !

Then, as taz3 says , do alittle homework about "Borg-Warner T 5 's " .

Then, check out the two sites that Joe (Nova Thug) posted ... good info.

Also, for T 5 tag numbers : go to --

http://www.britishv8.org/articles/borg-warner-t5-id-tags.htm

and, use your 'metal tag # ' to find which gears you have.

I used " 5speeds.com " for my new gear parts & bought my w/c rebuild kit. Paul Cangialosi also has a Very Good tranny Book --- # SA103 , with easy too follow text & lots of pictures. (if you go to his web site ------ he has several web sites ------- " the gearbox.com " ....... on there you can find a (code # ) and get $ 5.00 off . I did.

I installed my T 5 , and , made my 1st drive on March 17,2018 ...... and been going great since.

......... my Nova is a " 250 I-6 " , with a 3.97 1st gear & 0.72 o.d. using my stock 8.2 -- 3.08 rear ....... & for mine ( 93 GMC 2.8 V-6 , S-15 ) W/C .... T 5 .
tag # 1352 - 222

found on my local CL ... $ 150.00 .

later .... jim

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
T5 done

Well I got the T5 installed. Everything is as expected, little more gear whine than anticipated though. Overdrive is great with my 3:23 rear gears I’m running 1800 rpm at 70 . Shifts really smooth. Ended up with Hurst 12 inch lever. Just have to recalibrate the speedo now.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Cool..! Got any pics of the shifter?

glad you got your T 5 installed ---- oh yeah, we all like some Pictures.

Would you have a part number for the Clutch Disc you used ?

Thank you , and "Happy Shifting"

----- -----

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
T5 swap

Well finally got all the bugs worked out with my T5 install. Found out I was using the wrong clutch fork. It is good to be back rowing the gears once again, and my fuel mileage is much better! The clutch I used was just a standard 10.5 Ram clutch from Summit. I had to match the clutch fork etc to the bell housing #403 that I used.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts