Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's finally finished and on the road!

Last October I bought an '86 NWC T5 out of a V6 Camero.

Over the long Edmonton winter my teen-aged son and I swapped out the old 3 speed and installed the T5 behind the 194ci six.
We built a console and my wife and I changed out the interior.

The car is SO drivable now compared to before, and the torquey little six really awakened with the proper gears.:devil:

I took lots of pictures along the way and built a tech page on my Cardomain site.

Click Here

I had lots of help via the internet and would like to pass along the information I learned along the way.

Here is my '64 Acadian:cool:

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Awesome write up and looks professional. Those gear ratios should be perfect for a 2.73 or 3.08 rear axle ratio. What RPM do you turn on the freeway? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Looks real good, I have one sitting in the garage in limbo if it will get installed or not( I have 2.41 gear in the rear right now). Why did you not use a V8 Camaro bell housing? It would have allowed much easier installation of the shifter and the the mount would have been straight instead of the 18* "twist" I really like the job you did and I think that t-5 are a great trans for the first gen. I like the web site that you did you have some great links, Brad is a friend of mine from my guard unit too.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome write up and looks professional. Those gear ratios should be perfect for a 2.73 or 3.08 rear axle ratio. What RPM do you turn on the freeway? :thumbsup:
The car has a 3.08 rear and the R.P.M. has really dropped down nicely.
Not sure exactly what speed as the speedo is off 'cause I'm running 14's, going to have my wife chase me on the highway with 2 cell phones and we'll figure out what rpm at what speeds.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks real good, I have one sitting in the garage in limbo if it will get installed or not( I have 2.41 gear in the rear right now). Why did you not use a V8 Camaro bell housing? It would have allowed much easier installation of the shifter and the the mount would have been straight instead of the 18* "twist" I really like the job you did and I think that t-5 are a great trans for the first gen. I like the web site that you did you have some great links, Brad is a friend of mine from my guard unit too.
If I used the Camero bell I believe that I would have to convert to the Camero's hydrolic clutch.
Also if the rear mount is flat then the shifter is 18* off center towards the drivers seat.

Brad was a big help answering all my questions,
and is still an e-mail buddy.
I may never meet him in person so next time you see him
- buy him a Canadian beer :beer:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
If I used the Camero bell I believe that I would have to convert to the Camero's hydrolic clutch.
Also if the rear mount is flat then the shifter is 18* off center towards the drivers seat.

Brad was a big help answering all my questions,
and is still an e-mail buddy.
I may never meet him in person so next time you see him
- buy him a Canadian beer :beer:

Converting to a hydro clutch is a good thing, if you want to run a header like stove bolt cast header, it is a real pain to get the exhaust to clear the cross shaft., then their is the whole offy intake and Holley 392 4bbl:D

I'll make sure Brad gets that beer, I think he may be back in Iraq I'm not sure. Funny how a guy with his mechanical skills is with the med group

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This was a budget build

After buying the Camero trans. I only had to purchase new the clutch disc

and the front "adapter" u-joint

Other pieces like the shifter and the driveshaft yoke were found at my local pick-a-part

on S10 pickups which are very common.

The only work I sent out was the crossmember -which a buddy welded up -

and the driveshaft shortening.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I understand the budget build that all I can do. I have a saggy 4 speed in the wife 62, I got such a good deal that I chunked it in there while I get the rest of the parts for the t-5, I'd like to get a S10 tail shaft for mine cause the wife wants to put a bench seat back ig.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Do you remember what size the clutch disc was that you used? I think it's a 9.125" disc. If so, how's it holding up? Do you have the 153 tooth flywheel?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I have around 5K on car with both street and track time. I have had no clutch issues (still using the Saggy). The clutch for a T5 is a 84 Camaro same thickness as the stock 9.125" but it t5 spline. The heavy duty clutch cost me like $35. I have not got around to the t5 upgrade yet.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great job :)
Thanks!

And it's holding up great.

I've driven it for 3 summers now, I'm in a cruise club and we get together every second Wednesday and go for an hourlong highway run to a new cool destination each time. 20 to 30 assorted Hotrods rollin' down the highway and my little 6 works just fine with the bog boys thanks to the overdrive. :cool:

As for the clutch disc I just took my original disc into my parts store and asked to see the disc from the Camaro my trans came from. They were the same diameter so I bought it - not very scientific - but it worked :D
I used the pressure plate from my Sag set up

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
That is a sweet ride. I like it a lot.:yes: Nice work.
Thanks Rusty, She's changed a little since then.
I lowered the back end 2.5 inches since that pic.
I got her painted this winter - still flat baby blue but better quality & sealed and what was 48 year-old white is now.........Cadillac Pearl white :cool:
And added some chrome & new carpet.
I'll do a proper profile once she's back on the road.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts