Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
13,713 Posts
Original T3s had vertical lines in the center triangle. The repops I've seen don't have them. The difficulty with buying originals is usually you can't test them before purchase. Don't believe the sellers claim that he tested them and they work. I bought six 'tested and they work' T3s before getting two good ones and a spare for my L79.
As for judging, it will depend entirely upon the show you're entered in. Most won't even check, but if you're in a Concours event or Nova Nationals you'll lose a couple of points if you don't have OEM headlights.
By the way, if you drive alot at night, the original T3s don't throw much light by todays standards. You may want to install them for show only and have a pair of more modern units for regular use.
Bob

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I believe there are 3 different styles of T-3 headlights. The early ones were clear inside and I think ran through mid 1963. The ones with lines ran up until 1970. There are 2 different versions of the ones with lines. I haven't seen a repop to clarify what may be different but like all repop stuff I would guess it is a little different.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I have found that the best place to find T3's is in a junkyard, you need to find an old tow truck, delivery truck, etc... They will have them, $2 apiece!
M

·
Registered
689 Posts
details of originals

You are sure correct they don't thow much light! This got me looking at the T-3's on my 65 and in addition to the vertical lines through the triangle there is also a large T crossed by the smaller T-3 identification. Does anyone know if that is that strictly for the mid period version?

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
How about we start this as another research topic. I know some about them, but have not documented it yet in Nova terms.

I hate to say it, but the years are not quite black and white. Most of the 1970 model year cars have Power Beam's while Novas still had T-3's. the 1971 Model Year was the start of the Power Bean's for Nova's but they still had to use up the old stock.

It would be nice to peg down the exact time for 1967 -1968 transistion and the 1970 - 1971 transition.

What has everyone else seen?

Greg R.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Greg,
I have seen 1972 Novas with Power Beams in the salvage yard. I don't know about 70-71's though. I do know that the Power Beam headlights were available in late 1969 for the Monte Carlo because a local all original 1970 Monte SS had them. The Harrell 1970 Camaro that was here also had Power Beams.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Nova Research said:
How about we start this as another research topic. I know some about them, but have not documented it yet in Nova terms.

I hate to say it, but the years are not quite black and white. Most of the 1970 model year cars have Power Beam's while Novas still had T-3's. the 1971 Model Year was the start of the Power Bean's for Nova's but they still had to use up the old stock.

It would be nice to peg down the exact time for 1967 -1968 transistion and the 1970 - 1971 transition.

What has everyone else seen?

Greg R.
What should we look for Greg? I have pics of a 6k mile deuce (06A car) with it's original headlights - T3's of course - but never really studied the differences between the various versions of the T3's. Is it possible to determine the differences, and then document when the applications changed?
M

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Nova Research said:

Greg R.
greg, let me (us) know how to help. i have some pictures (power beams) that are the originals. not T3's, but for early 70's cars.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts