Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

Putting a T-56 tranny upsync'd by Liberty Gears on a 406 SBC. Can anyone recommend flywheel, clutch and hydraulic throw out bearing that will work? Any comments or experiences with this setup?

I am reading that McLeod Bearings leak a lot. Which makes me want to look elsewhere to pair up with the same brand flywheel and clutch. Ram?

For Street and Strip.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I like the Ram powergrip line of clutches. And any SFI flywheel is fine. I used Hays, Ram, and others.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Rusted51chevy, running the exact same set up in my chevy II gasser, 406 with liberty gears plated T56, if you havnt had machine work done yet, ill sell my trans for what they will charge you in machine work, you can bang the gears, cant remember on fly wheel, but will know within couple weeks when I pull it, I am running mechanical clutch,

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
This would depend upon which version of T56 and bellhousing you're using.

• Aftermarket bellhousing for OEM LT1 midplate
  • Aftermarket bellhousing for OEM LS1 midplate
  • OEM LT1 T56
  • OEM LS1 T56
  • Aftermarket midplate conversion for Nova 4-speed bellhousing

I would avoid an internal hydraulic throwout bearing if at all possible. They work and help with exhaust packaging, but are a hassle if they start leaking.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This would depend upon which version of T56 and bellhousing you're using.

• Aftermarket bellhousing for OEM LT1 midplate
  • Aftermarket bellhousing for OEM LS1 midplate
  • OEM LT1 T56
  • OEM LS1 T56
  • Aftermarket midplate conversion for Nova 4-speed bellhousing

I would avoid an internal hydraulic throwout bearing if at all possible. They work and help with exhaust packaging, but are a hassle if they start leaking.
T-56 MAGNUM 6 SPEED, LS,
2.97-2.10-1.46-1.00-0.74-0.50-REV 2.90
U/S PACKAGE
CARBON BLOCKING RINGS 2ND-4TH / BRONZE
PADS / BRONZE SHIFTER BUSHING /
MAIN SHIFT RAIL BUSHING / BILLET INTERLOCK
BOLT / SHOT PEEN - SYNCRO TEETH / SURFACE
ENHANCEMENT - HUBS & SLIDERS

T-56 Mag to SBC Quick Time Bell Housing RM-6023

I believe I have to use a hydraulic TB at this point. It seems like a lot of them leak. From extensive research the American Powertrain Hydramax seems to be the better of them. Any recommendations on others? or solutions?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I'm going to be doing a T-56 swap (LS type, from a 2006 GTO), putting it behind a 383. My engine is a 1-piece rear seal roller-cam block. I'm assuming that yours is an original 400 SBC, 2-piece rear main seal. I think the only difference would be the type of flywheel, but I'm following your thread to learn more about parts selection.

Gerry

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Yeap I agree, if I was doing one I would put an external one that has enough trave;. Took me about 10 minutes to change my Dad's external on his old S10 versus a one ton Ford with internal that takes a half a day.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'm going to be doing a T-56 swap (LS type, from a 2006 GTO), putting it behind a 383. My engine is a 1-piece rear seal roller-cam block. I'm assuming that yours is an original 400 SBC, 2-piece rear main seal. I think the only difference would be the type of flywheel, but I'm following your thread to learn more about parts selection.

Gerry
Yeap I agree, if I was doing one I would put an external one that has enough trave;. Took me about 10 minutes to change my Dad's external on his old S10 versus a one ton Ford with internal that takes a half a day.
It is a 400SBC 509 Casting - 2 pc rear seal. The current configuration I am thinking is the following:

- McLeod 1434003 Hydraulic Conversion Firewall Kit (Already Purchased)
- American Powertrain Hydramax Hydraulic Throwout Bearings CAGM-30001
- McLeod Racing 560530 Flywheel Aluminum
- McLeod 6932-07 Clutch Kit
- Stock brake and clutch pedal setup, because I cannot find aftermarket billets for the 67 Nova anywhere!!!

Am I missing something? Anybody out there suggest against this setup?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone out there with some suggestions/experience on throw out bearing or external slave?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts