Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to install a T-56 Magnum in my 62 Nova. I just figured out on mine own that the transmission is equipped with a electric solenoid that functions as a reverse gear lockout. (prevents engaging reverse when trying for 5th gear by accident). It is a simple 12 volt DC hookup. Apply 12 volts and it allows you to shift into reverse. No 12 volts, no reverse available. What should I hook this up to? I was thinking taping into the Brake light switch? In other words, what would be an easy and logical switched 12 volt source that could be used only when you want to shift the transmission into reverse? My thinking is that I would normally have my foot on the brake when shifting into reverse anyway.

I have to say, I am very upset that these transmission are delivered without any manual or instructions of any kind. Not even what type of fluid to use? Mounting bolt torque values? What yoke to use? Two phone calls latter I determined the transmission uses a 31 spline Ford C6 Yoke. The tech guy seemed bothered that I would even ask this:eek: You would think for $3K they could give you some simple instructions:yes: I was told that since I did not buy a complete "Kit" I do not get any instructions:rolleyes:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Im pretty sure that solenoid is for skip shift. Under light throttle the solenoid causes the the trans to shift from 1st to 4th to improve fuel economy.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Im pretty sure that solenoid is for skip shift. Under light throttle the solenoid causes the the trans to shift from 1st to 4th to improve fuel economy.
I don't think the Magnum comes with CAGS?

The production T56 has connections for:

• CAGS
  • Reverse Lights
  • Reverse Solenoid
  • VSS

With my setup, I made a wiring harness and a toggle switch panel (with an LED warning light) to activate reverse. Another option is to use a momentary switch on the shifter handle itself, like a line/loc switch or sidewinder knob.

You can do it off of the brake light swich, but I don't know if I would want the solenoid energizing and de-energizing every time I pressed the brakes. The next expensive option is to get an aftermarket box that works with your VSS to control it like stock. The most expensive option is to go full LS with PCM and throw your worries to the wind. LOL.

Sucks about the instructions, too. The only thing I got instructions for was my clutch. Everything else was parts in a box.

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks guys. Good point about using the brake light circuit. Really don't need that selinoid activating every time I hit the brakes.
Ron

A big thank you to WildBillyT for posting up the part numbers for the electrical connectors used with this transmission. NPHNP!!!!! Those part numbers are a perfect example of why they need to write a simple owners manual to include with the trans when you buy one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts