Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a Borg Warner t5 out of a late 80's camaro in a 63 nova?
if so any tips?
Thinking about putting one in mine and wondering what kind of problems I might run into particuraly with the clutch pedal assembely
any info would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
149 Posts
well my father in law just installed one in a 62 ragtop and its been a real pain in the *** for him so far, the car was originally a 3 on the tree but now he has a borg warner t5 out of a mid 80's camaro. there is a special bell housing you need, you need to modify the crossmember , luckily there is no need to modify the tunnel except where you are to cut the hole for the shifter. the only drawback so far is the shifter it self, he has buckets and with the stock camaro shifter he cant shift it cause it hits the seat since the tranny is back so far, he has yet to find a shifter and he needs to shorten his drive shaft, plus the trannys from the camaros cant handle alot of power, i was told maybe 300 ponies so if you are putting some power out of your motor dont use that tranny unless its been built up, my father in law is using a bone stock 283, hope that helps!

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
I have one in mine. The strongest year is apparently 91/92. The crossmember mod was minor. The clutch linkage was easy. Take the cover off of the bottom of your steering column, fab up a plate to strengthen up the firewall a bit and make sure the plate has a hole cut in it the size of the hydraulic master. Use the same mount for the M/C( the u-bolt). Also use the stk plastic line to your slave and voila! My factory pedals worked perfect. the rod lines up with your linkage hole you just need a bushing. I twisted the line to make work. It does have some tension on it but I have never had a problem. I run exhaust mans and headers unless they are fenderwell wont work. Of course if you have changed the front suspension your options are different.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
From what I have read the stock belhousing will work if you drill the mounting holes to 1/2", this also move the tranny mount "flat" like a stock tranny. If the shifter needs to be moved you can use a stock S-10 tail shaft and shifter. They use a 26 spline input shaft so any 26 spline clutch will work if you want to keep the mechanical clutch.
Here are some links
http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/t5tranny.htm
http://www.inliners.org/Jack/t5_page.html
I'm wanting to put a TBI 305 and a T-5 in the wifes 62, or maby behind the 230 who knowes.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys I appreciate all the info
Im definately going to go forth with that project
A good friend of mine was putting 510 Horse through a T5 in his Rustang GT
He said as long as you dont launch at 5500 RPMs you will not break it. He said the main reason they break is because the stock shifter has no positive stops and it allows the stock shifter to put the synchros through the gears if you over shift.
He also said that the t5 was the only surviving piece of the stock drivetrain after years of abuse so we'll see!
thanks again guys!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts