Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm converting my 1972 Nova SS to a non-EEC fuel system. I have the new tank and sending unit, sender with supply and return line. My existing pump, also has two outputs. One to the carb and the other for the return. If I do not change the existing fuel pump, will I have issues like fuel system over pressurization with temp increase? Or will i likely create a vacuum in the tank while driving? What quick fixes are out there, and/or whats the best way to go about this? Thanks for all you input, i'm fairly new at all this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm converting my 1972 Nova SS to a non-EEC fuel system. I have the new tank and sending unit, sender with supply and return line. My existing pump, also has two outputs. One to the carb and the other for the return. If I do not change the existing fuel pump, will I have issues like fuel system over pressurization with temp increase? Or will i likely create a vacuum in the tank while driving? What quick fixes are out there, and/or whats the best way to go about this? Thanks for all you input, i'm fairly new at all this.
So i'll be the guy the replies to his own post. How does this sound for a plan? Non EEC tank, sending unit with 3/8 supply and 1/4 return. Replace fuel pump with two port pump instead of existing 3 port. use rubber hose and 1970 Olds fuel vent valve to avoid overpressure. Sound doable?

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
If you have a non-EEC tank, you'll need to run a vented gas cap. That will eliminate any vacuum build up in your tank as you draw fuel out of the tank.

You do want the sending unit with two lines coming out of it. I am running the one with just one line for fuel and my tank builds up too much pressure. I'd like to get the one with 3/8" fuel line and 1/4" vent line like you have. You can use the fuel line for the fuel up to the pump, and then just vent the tank with a hose and breather filter/check valve/rear end breather, etc.

Not sure I'm understanding how your fuel pump is set up, but it sounds like you have 3 ports on it? Not sure that will work with your new setup. I just run an Edelbrock fuel pump on the block and I run my fuel line from the tank up to it, then from the pump up to the carb. Haven't had any issues with that setup for decades.

·
Registered
295 Posts
One good idea is to find out what ohms your new sending unit works off of. And what ohms your gas gauge works off of. If they do not match your gauge will not work correctly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have a non-EEC tank, you'll need to run a vented gas cap. That will eliminate any vacuum build up in your tank as you draw fuel out of the tank.

You do want the sending unit with two lines coming out of it. I am running the one with just one line for fuel and my tank builds up too much pressure. I'd like to get the one with 3/8" fuel line and 1/4" vent line like you have. You can use the fuel line for the fuel up to the pump, and then just vent the tank with a hose and breather filter/check valve/rear end breather, etc.

Not sure I'm understanding how your fuel pump is set up, but it sounds like you have 3 ports on it? Not sure that will work with your new setup. I just run an Edelbrock fuel pump on the block and I run my fuel line from the tank up to it, then from the pump up to the carb. Haven't had any issues with that setup for decades.
I ordered a different fuel pump for the project, one input, one output. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
I ordered a different fuel pump for the project, one input, one output. Thanks for the advice!
Cool, then it sounds like you should be all set. Just make sure the tank is vented somehow and run a vented gas cap to prevent vacuum. The vented gas cap vents in only, not out, so unless you vent the tank somehow it will build up quite a bit of pressure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts