Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have done some research and most people switch from the stock 2-bolt master to a 3-bolt booster, what i bought was a 4-bolt that was in a 62' nova and now i have a dilemma. I already popped out the original studs and now i am on to drilling the holes and making a bracket for the inside of the firewall where the new 4-bolt will go, my problem is the flange diameter for the booster is larger than on the firewall and wont fit. the master cylinder hole on the firewall is 2 1/4" and the one i bought is nearly 3". My question is what is the best plan of action towards cutting a larger hole? if pictures are needed just let me know.

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
Best option is the correct booster:eek:,Assuming that is not an option at this point.If there is no conflict with having the hole larger,mark it out with a grease pencil or sharpie and open it up with a die grinder with a good bit.:D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate it, the booster and master are from 63 that was redone and he had no problems, he bought the correct brake bracket though and that 300$ option is not an option lol.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
make sure the push rod is in proper alignment with the brake pedal hole. also you might try removing the pedal assembly and add a section of metal where the two extra bolts are going. weld a section to it or just add a back up section of metal.

if the booster assembly isn't properly secured firewall flexing can occur. now would be the time to stiffen it up, tie it to the pedal assembly...

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've seen a couple posts here about 3-bolt applications.

I know just because something has always been a certain way, that there may eventually be a better way, but honestly I've never heard of any problems with the standard 2-bolt mounting.

What am I missing here? Why did they come out with 3 or 4 bolt mounting?

Just thought I'd ask an obvious question.

Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts