Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering changing out my externally regulated alternator and getting a internally regulated 110 amp chrome alternator. Reason being is to buy a chrome alternator that is externally regulated is pretty expensive and the alternator I have now is not chrome plus the amps are to low at idle. Blinkers etc work slowly until rpm is increased. Anyone have any thoughts on this and if this is something you might recommend as far as functionality and experience you have had with something like this. I appreciate all feedback.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I've been looking at alternators too. Thinking of upgrading to an 80 amp 3wire from lane. I've read a number of comparisons between 1 & 3 wires, all make good points for both. I like the stock look of the 3 wire, but wish everything available new was not chrome. I prefer the stock look.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
My chrome one was putting out to much voltage and I was afraid of cooking the battery. I replaced it with a cast natural finish from Napa. I've heard that the chrome holds the heat in.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Yes chrome holds the heat. If your alternator was cooking the battery there must of been a problem with the internal regulator. The output was set to high and probably was a manufacture defective part. I like chrome and it will fit my motor with polished aluminum intake etc. I think I will try out the 110 amp 3 wire and let everyone know how it goes. Externally regulated chrome alternators are just to expensive now especially for a higher amp one plus hard to find. Anyhow thanks to all for your input and I will let everyone know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Ditto with Spencer 65. Mark Hamilton at MAD knows, and shares, a lot
of info. I've installed several of his wiring upgrades on my 67 including
the alternator. I'm using a 12SI model because of recommendations....
and I had one, 94 amp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts