Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to start a build thread for the rest of my Nova now that the LS swap is done.
Since the swap was done about 2 weeks ago we have put a little over 1000 miles on the Nova.
I have missed driving this car!
Went to the u-pick today for a headlight retainer ring and spotted a Camaro with LS brakes intact. :D
Probably headed back up there tomorrow to snag the parts I need for the brake swap.
I think that will be the first upgrade for this thread.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My build thread link is in my signature.
Here is a picture of the engine before I cleaned it up a bit when it was first done.

My Nova is the mostly yellow one in the middle. Stripping that paint is in the near future too.
The silver Nova to the left is LMH and the white one on the right Twinshadows.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I used the Holley brackets on the A/C and stock GTO brackets for PS and alt, it's mounted down low.
I got the fan and shroud from Ledfoot racing, with the Champion radiator.
Works fine so far, hottest day was about 95.
Just have to see how it does with A/C on and 110 :devil:

My biggest concern is with the shared accessory drive belt. On some high RPM shifts(5500+) I hear the belt squawk a bit.
The belt is pretty long, 2500mm, so I'm sure that adds to it.
The tentioner is in the right spot when not running so I am just watching it for now.

Need to sort out my RPM cutout for A/C compressor too. Seems to be reading erratically switch the compressor off oddly.
The tach signal is so low on these I think I need a new connection for it.
But definitely need to have that in the circuit, revs too quick and sounds like 4K is about all you want to turn that compressor.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Starting mocking up an air box, to keep the cold stuff cold. Kinda like a McDLT box ;)

Noticed the inlet air temp coming up at slow speed and idle so we'll see how this goes.

Have to stop for the night to make mama dinner for mother's day.

Someone called me a "mother" the other day but I didn't get flowers or anything. :devil:

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took a drive yesterday and it was pretty warm when we came home.
The Vintage Air was just not keeping the car cool and cycling the compressor frequently.
So when I got home I starting digging into it.
The charge is fine, I used the 28.8 oz. they call for and even evacuated it again and recharged it.
So I checked the trinary switch and it is working fine.
After a bit of research I found there is a thermistor in the evaporated case of the Gen IV system to prevent freeze up by cycling the compressor off.
So I pulled it out, it installs from outside the case bottom.
Bam! Super cold AC with no crazy cycling.
Now I am just going to try some different ways to set up that sensor to keep the air cold but not freeze up, with 10% humidity around here shouldn't be too hard.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Took a drive yesterday and it was pretty warm when we came home.
The Vintage Air was just not keeping the car cool and cycling the compressor frequently.
So when I got home I starting digging into it.
The charge is fine, I used the 28.8 oz. they call for and even evacuated it again and recharged it.
So I checked the trinary switch and it is working fine.
After a bit of research I found there is a thermistor in the evaporated case of the Gen IV system to prevent freeze up by cycling the compressor off.
So I pulled it out, it installs from outside the case bottom.
Bam! Super cold AC with no crazy cycling.
Now I am just going to try some different ways to set up that sensor to keep the air cold but not freeze up, with 10% humidity around here shouldn't be too hard.
That's a pretty sharp diagnosis, where did you learn A/C stuff, Chris? I'm curious to see how you solve the sensor mounting question.

Gerry

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's a pretty sharp diagnosis, where did you learn A/C stuff, Chris? I'm curious to see how you solve the sensor mounting question.

Gerry
Actually used to be an ASE Master auto tech for Infiniti in another life long ago. :D
For now I just remounted it to the outside of the housing rather than sticking into it.
We'll see how it goes but on a 20 mile cruise tonight it was great.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Actually used to be an ASE Master auto tech for Infiniti in another life long ago. :D
For now I just remounted it to the outside of the housing rather than sticking into it.
We'll see how it goes but on a 20 mile cruise tonight it was great.
That explains your smart approach to problems.

Hopefully that fix will be all it takes and you can put that problem behind you.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well not much happening on the Nova lately.
Been busy with work and frankly feeling pretty tired and lazy.

But today I am going to remove the bumpers and get rid of the rest of the yellow.

I did bust her out for a drive this morning, before the chance of rain picks up.
I haven't had her out of the garage for a few weeks and man it feels fast! :devil:

Come on motivation!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I am finally getting after the sanding of the car.
I was trying to go easy and just get off the yellow but...
There are about 4 paint jobs on this thing and as I started sanding I exposed some filler and pinholes in it.
so I have decided to strip it with the sander and then DA.
I'm going to get it to metal, repair the dents and dings and go to an epoxy primer.

The next thing will be pulling the doors and fenders to get all the nooks and crannies.

This is turning into a job...

Now I am seriously contemplating a color. It was originally bright blue so I am considering a deeper blue or (gasp) a drab green like the F-Bomb Camaro.
Seems crazy but I love that color. :eek:

I just want to be done for the AZ Novas gettogether in November. Better step it up :yes:

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Well I am finally getting after the sanding of the car.
I was trying to go easy and just get off the yellow but...
There are about 4 paint jobs on this thing and as I started sanding I exposed some filler and pinholes in it.
so I have decided to strip it with the sander and then DA.
I'm going to get it to metal, repair the dents and dings and go to an epoxy primer.

The next thing will be pulling the doors and fenders to get all the nooks and crannies.

This is turning into a job...

Now I am seriously contemplating a color. It was originally bright blue so I am considering a deeper blue or (gasp) a drab green like the F-Bomb Camaro.
Seems crazy but I love that color. :eek:

I just want to be done for the AZ Novas gettogether in November. Better step it up :yes:
It looks a lot better than when I saw it in May. You're making good progress.

1 - 20 of 180 Posts