Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was working on the 69 granny car last nite trying to install a front sway bar....this car did not come with one. I got the bar in position...took a little persuading:rolleyes: and then I realized the holes in the frame were not tapped for threads and were very small :mad:....the bolts that came with the brackets were too large for the holes....thinking about drilling out the holes and tapping or just drilling and using a bolt, lock washer and nut. i am planning on checking the bolts on one of the other cars to see what they look like...never looked before. :confused:

Any thoughts...wilma

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
nut and bolt, unless you have a good 1/4" of metal to tap, which I doubt. Typically all the ones I've even seen are nut/bolt.

·
4,534 Posts
yes you need to drill it out

Miles

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Wilma,
Mine are 3/8-16 thread body bolts. threaded into the subframe. Same bolt as a fender bolt. (small washer head)

Hope this helps.

AL

·
Premium Member
11,456 Posts
I used self tapping bolts. As I remember, I got the part number from the assembly manual and ordered them from the Chevy dealer. Not a lot to thread into, but holding so far. Nuts and bolts may be a better idea, though.

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts
I was working on the 69 granny car last nite trying to install a front sway bar....this car did not come with one. I got the bar in position...took a little persuading:rolleyes: and then I realized the holes in the frame were not tapped for threads and were very small :mad:....the bolts that came with the brackets were too large for the holes....thinking about drilling out the holes and tapping or just drilling and using a bolt, lock washer and nut. i am planning on checking the bolts on one of the other cars to see what they look like...never looked before. :confused:

Any thoughts...wilma
I asked this same question a while ago... my granny car had the same problem.

I found the bolts at NAPA. For a pack of 8 (enough for 2 cars) they were $4.99. Made in the USA too! The correct thread size is 5/16" (not 3/8" as I was told previously), and they are self tapping.

GM discontinued this part in 1984... or so that's what the local GM guy told me. You can find a set of 4 on eBay for $20 :turn: if you are into the "all original" stuff.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Thanks for all the input...sounds like the self tappers are the way to go...off to the store tomorrow.

wilma
I would say so too, our BB cars are this way, so a 6 should be fine too!:yes:

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Hmm. Ok, Guess that will work. My lil fiat spider has the bolts threaded into the frame too, its light. I guess if its a small bar and you are mostly going straight yer not gonna rip out the threads. Plus they will look cleaner. Light car, street use no problem.

Now a V8 car with a LARGE bar is gonna be putting a twist to those bushing mounts. Far from stock type application. I would, and will through bolt. I will prolly do what I did on my rear end and make a cradle for the bushing holder. It cradles the frame and is through bolted through the sides of the frame, not vertically. JR

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hmm. Ok, Guess that will work. My lil fiat spider has the bolts threaded into the frame too, its light. I guess if its a small bar and you are mostly going straight yer not gonna rip out the threads. Plus they will look cleaner. Light car, street use no problem.

Now a V8 car with a LARGE bar is gonna be putting a twist to those bushing mounts. Far from stock type application. I would, and will through bolt. I will prolly do what I did on my rear end and make a cradle for the bushing holder. It cradles the frame and is through bolted through the sides of the frame, not vertically. JR
Maybe I should put a nut the end, instead of just thread the frame hole

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Thanks for all the input...sounds like the self tappers are the way to go...off to the store tomorrow.

wilma
Hi Wilma,
no, stop. thats not how the factory did it! don't go to the hardware store! the hardware store self tappers dont cut right like the factory self tapper bolt. I'll tell you the correct way. the correct, proper bolt that the factory used was a 5/16" x 1" self tapping bolt that are not available in hardware stores. if you have an original spare clutch fork bracket bolt or even a fuel line bolt from the same car use that to tapp the factory punched hole. look at the end of the bolt and you will see a notch cut out of it, thats the cutter part of the bolt. use that original bolt and just drive it in straight with a racthet. i would hate to see you ruin a nice clean factory subframe. oh and never ever use a tap die on a subframe! i have and it cuts larger the original self tapping bolts and then it becomes weak! just thought id let you know since i have experince with tapping these holes in subframes....and i know how the factory did it...
Tony

1 - 13 of 13 Posts