Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time swapping a converter ( first auto car). Any tips and suggestions. I have a spare jack with 2 spare stock jacks and 2 rams to drive the car up on for front wheels. I've got 3 down days so i figured i would throw in thehigh stall converter since stock stall sucks on a tunnel ram.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
the ramps will work good your going to need jackstands at least 2 of them cause the stock bottle jacks arent really trust worthy your gonna need trans fluid ,pan gasket, filter might as well change the fluid in it while your at it your gonna need a way to keep the motor from sagging you sorta want to keep it where its at so you can line up the snout of the converter into the crank when your done you can leave the driveshaft in the trans just tie wire it back to the case and undo it from the pinion ( rear end ) if your going to leave it in the car gonna need to loosen the bellhousing bolts and remove the crossmember put a floor jack under the trans pan so you can move or lower the trans at least 3 to 5 inches also going to need to loosen up the converter to flywheel bolts too and then remove the converter carefully cause it will still have fluid in it as well oh and i forgot the first thing to do you can drain out the fluid all the way or about three quarts if you dont want to take the trans from the car

·
Registered
247 Posts
the ramps will work good your going to need jackstands at least 2 of them cause the stock bottle jacks arent really trust worthy your gonna need trans fluid ,pan gasket, filter might as well change the fluid in it while your at it your gonna need a way to keep the motor from sagging you sorta want to keep it where its at so you can line up the snout of the converter into the crank when your done you can leave the driveshaft in the trans just tie wire it back to the case and undo it from the pinion ( rear end ) if your going to leave it in the car gonna need to loosen the bellhousing bolts and remove the crossmember put a floor jack under the trans pan so you can move or lower the trans at least 3 to 5 inches also going to need to loosen up the converter to flywheel bolts too and then remove the converter carefully cause it will still have fluid in it as well oh and i forgot the first thing to do you can drain out the fluid all the way or about three quarts if you dont want to take the trans from the car
hes got it on the nose.......hes done this before....and i know him.....

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
The only other thing I would suggest is a very long extension (about 30 inches) and a swivel to reach the top two bots that hold the trans to the block. You should remove the distributor cap and lower the transmission down as far as it will go and use the ratchet and extension and go over the top of the trans to reach those two bolts. That is about the worst part of the swap.

-Dan

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah i heard about those two top bolts. Good thing my buddy is helping me. He's got a full snap on tool chest. Marine mechanics :rolleyes: .So support the motor under the pan with a jack n block of wood. I've got solid mounts as well. Thanks fellas

1 - 5 of 5 Posts