Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

My 70 has a pretty beat up rear end in it, with highway gears and no posi.

I'd love to swap it out with a posi rear end and disk brakes all ready to go.

Are there any later model cars that I could salvage a rear end out of that would bolt right into my nova and give me the features I'm looking for?

I'm actually wanting a tranny with overdrive too - so perhaps the same donor vehicle could offer that too??

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
If you're not looking to use a GM rearend and don'e mind welding your own spring perches on I know a lot of people are using the 95-2001 Ford explorer 8.8" rearends with disc brakes. Some are 3.70 ratio and have the traction lock option. I don't know how they compare width wise though.

Or for a direct bolt in you could hunt up a 71-74 nova, apollo, ventura, omega 8.5 10-bolt, or 12 bolt from 67-69 camaros and 68-72 Novas

·
Registered
9 Posts
A couple of options to think about:

1. Get a rear from a late 70's Trans Am, some of them came with discs. You will need to move and reweld the spring perches though and the over all width is like an inch or wider on each side so you may have back space issues with your tires.

2. Some folks with 1st Gen camaros I believe use the rear disc setups from a 4th gen camaros on their orginal rear ends, but you may need you bigger rims. Those brakes will bolt on with some minor mods, do some research at Team Camaro.org. I have also hear of folks using explorer brakes etc. Of course this will mean you will need to rebuild your stock rear end or go find a used posi and then mod it with disc brakes.

3. Go to a vendor or ebay. I have seen rear disc kits in the 300-600 range. It can be pricey but...you get what you pay for.

4. buy a rear end set up from moser, dts, currie, etc. Big money but it might save you in the end. Have seen the prices of used 12 bolts and even 8.5's?

If you use the stock rear end go find an eaton posi to put in it or a detroit tru trac.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts