Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody tried swapping the passenger and drivers side manifold on a 5.3 in a stock clip 62-67 yet? I bought a 70mm turbo and thought this may be a quick way to get started on the hot side.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Anybody tried swapping the passenger and drivers side manifold on a 5.3 in a stock clip 62-67 yet? I bought a 70mm turbo and thought this may be a quick way to get started on the hot side.
Justin. The stock manifolds are the most popular option for guys going turbo. Over on LS1Tech.com there are guys running camaro, vette and truck manifolds in every which direction for turbo builds. Go over there and take a look for a little inspiration. Good luck with build!
Justin.

Please post pics of your work. I want to go with a single turbo stock clip using a 76mm turbo.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No problem, im looking for an LS at the moment. Im sure you can imagine how much work it will take to get an LS engine and a turbo in a stock front clip. When I start cutting and welding I'll post up some pics.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
No problem, im looking for an LS at the moment. Im sure you can imagine how much work it will take to get an LS engine and a turbo in a stock front clip. When I start cutting and welding I'll post up some pics.
Its not going to be easy. take a look at the LS1 Tech forum. there is a lot of info on the site.

Regards, Leon.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nothing in these old engine bays are easy. Picked up a 5.3 today.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thought I would do an update on the front clip modifying I have been doing. I cut all the radiator support out and the inner fenderwells back to the shock tower.

I still have a lot of work to do... freshen the engine, then set it in the car and start fabbing the exhaust, wire the Microsquirt.

Im going to run the engine thats in the car until I get the 5.3 freshened up.

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dont know if its me or the iphone I cant seem to get more then one pic in a post.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Nice cut out mod. You still running the stockbox? If you go to coilovers you can notch your shock towers for more space. Another member on here used a mildon or pan that had the notch in it for the stock drag link. I think he used a truck setup I think to make his kit.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes its the stock steering box. Im trying not to spend too much more money on this front clip. If I absolutely have too I might buy coil overs but my springs and shocks are practicaly brand new.

I might end up having to get some drop spindles. My car was sitting a touch high in the front before I started the fab work but I was hoping the Moroso trick springs would settle down a little. The metal I have cut out is going to make the car even a little higher.

·
Registered
275 Posts
You'll have issues running the truck manifolds forward and down. They come way too close to the frame. You can either cut the flanges and weld in an intermediate pipe with your own flange, run them forward and up, or use different manifolds. Most aftermarket subframes will clear the truck manifolds forward and down.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had planned on cutting the collector off and welding on v-band clamps but I still may have issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts