Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if I can swap the front clip on a 3rd gen without taking out the engine. Maybe just hold it up with engine hoist while I remove front clip?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
when you say "front clip" that should mean all the front end sheet metal. minus the sub frame. if this is what your asking ,the answer is yes, you can. i have done it many times, takes way less time to take it all off as one unit rather than one piece at a time, fenders , inner and outer bumper everything. i would remove the hood only.. now if you wana leave the engine and trans in the subframe and change all of it ,it can be done, just support the rear of the subframe. cake work...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I just want to remove the front subframe without having to yank out the engine. I was just looking it over and trying to game plan before I tried. I will have to remove everything other than engine to put new subframe in but want to make sure I can leave engine in.

·
Registered
234 Posts
In answer to your question, you can either take it all out at once - motor, trans, and subframe all intact, or you can pull the engine and trans first and then pull out the subframe. I would think it would be a barrel of monkeys to try to keep the engine mostly in place. The problem is that the engine and transmission are both bolted to the subframe. Therefore, you have to unbolt them from the subframe anyway to get the subframe out of the car. So, in short: No. It's pointless to even try. You can leave them attached to the subframe, but it's still coming out of the car.

·
Registered
982 Posts
thats almost the easiest thing to do.

its definitely the easier thing when installing a new frame.

mine for example, im rebuilding front suspension and stuff, getting the wheels on, then dropping the engine and trans onto the frame, and while a friend hold up the rear end of the subframe, we roll it under the car and bolt it in with the engine on it.

but after re reading your post, you want to swap the frame, but you dont want to pull the engine out of the car. and heres how you do it.

go through the frame, make sure EVERY hose is removed from the frame, brakelines, fuel lines, everything. attach your hoist to the engine, lift the hoist until the slack in the chain is gone. and undo the engine mount bolts.

undo the transmission mount bolts, and put a jack stand under the tail section of your tranny. lift it up a bit with a jack first though, and remove the mounting bushing. that way it doesnt grab the tranny and pull it off the stand as you pull the subframe out.

this way, the engine, engine hoses and wiring, all stay connected to the car, and you can just slide out the frame, slide the new one in and re attach everything.

you would need to bleed the brakes again though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts