Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone. Is it possible to swap bucket seats on my 70 Nova? I want to put the driver seat on the passenger side and the passenger seat on the driver's side? Of course for this to work, I realize that I must also swap the seat adjustment (forward/back) mechanisms. Before I get out the tools, I would like to know if anyone has successfully done this before or if it can be done at all.

Thanks,

Dennis

·
Registered
928 Posts
Hey Everyone. Is it possible to swap bucket seats on my 70 Nova? I want to put the driver seat on the passenger side and the passenger seat on the driver's side? Of course for this to work, I realize that I must also swap the seat adjustment (forward/back) mechanisms. Before I get out the tools, I would like to know if anyone has successfully done this before or if it can be done at all.

Thanks,

Dennis
I'm not sure if the seats are left and right or if its all in the tracks. What are you trying to do reverse the wear?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Zonie. Yes, I'm trying to reverse the wear. The driver's seat is in good condition. The passenger's seat is in excellent/new condition. If it's possible, all that I should need to do is swap the seat adjustment mechanism and then put the driver's seat on the passenger side and visa versa. Sounds easy enough, but some jobs that sound easy turn out to be a headache or impossible to do. I guess that I could remove the passenger seat, flip it over, and see if I can remove the seat adjustment mechanism. And if the seat adjustment is impossible to remove and swap, then all I have to do is re-install the passenger seat and drive on. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Dennis

·
Registered
928 Posts
Hey Zonie. Yes, I'm trying to reverse the wear. The driver's seat is in good condition. The passenger's seat is in excellent/new condition. If it's possible, all that I should need to do is swap the seat adjustment mechanism and then put the driver's seat on the passenger side and visa versa. Sounds easy enough, but some jobs that sound easy turn out to be a headache or impossible to do. I guess that I could remove the passenger seat, flip it over, and see if I can remove the seat adjustment mechanism. And if the seat adjustment is impossible to remove and swap, then all I have to do is re-install the passenger seat and drive on. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Dennis
Yep its usually harder than anticipated. I would guess that even if the seats are the same it still will require some modification to swap the tracks. You probably won't know until you get both seats out and look at the bottoms. As I say this I am starting to think they are probably different in that the bottom seat frames are probably built differently to accommodate the tracks.

·
Registered
928 Posts
What about trying to swap out the seat covers? If it looks like too large a task, maybe an upholstery shop can do it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey SMO'KUM63. I'll have to give your idea some thought. It might be the better way to go.

Thanks,

Dennis, a.k.a. Troy Trojan

·
Registered
122 Posts
if you swap seats side to side won't the latch for leaning the seat be on the wrong side? When I picked up my parts car the seats were in the trunk and mounted to the wrong frames passenger frame on drivers seat etc. the only way i knew which seat went where was because the release for leaning the seats forward to gain access to the backseat needs to be to the door side of the seat. My car is a 74, the earlier 3rd gens may be different.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Swapping Seats

Hello Chapman 74 SS,

Let me make sure I understand your post. It sounds as if when you acquired your 74 Nova, the bucket seats were in the truck of the car. And before you mounted the bucket seat assemblies to the floor board inside your Nova, did you swap or change the "latch for leaning the seat" as you refer to it? That is, did you remove the "latch for leaning the seat" from the bottom of one bucket seat assembly and put it on the other and visa versa?

I'm not sure that we are on the same page. On my 70 Nova, there is a lever located to the left of the driver's bucket seat which allows the driver to slide or move the entire seat assembly forward and back depending on how much leg room the driver needs and to allow someone easier access to the backseat. The same is true for the passenger bucket seat, except the lever for sliding the passenger's bucket seat forward and back is located on the right side of the seat. Driver seat left side, passenger seat right side. If I completely remove the entire driver and passenger front bucket seat assemblies from the floor board and take them out of the car, can I take the "latch for leaning the seat" off the bottom of the passenger seat and put it on the bottom of the driver's seat, and visa versa? And if I can do that, then the levers that allow the bucket seats to slide or move forward and back will be on the correct sides. Driver seat left side, passenger seat right side.

Please reply.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
You’re going to have to remove one of your seats to see if it is doable.. If your inner and outer tracks are structurally very similar then swapping the seats is most likely possible.. If your inner and outer tracks are significantly different then it is probably a no go.. Pics of your seats and tracks would be helpful here.. some GM seat frames are side specific and some are not.. The latch assembly is a separate issue which is probably not going to swap but I don’t know your seats at all.. I know my 1st gen seat like nobodies business and they are not swapable side to side.. The tracks are different and the frames are different too..

Pictured is my 1st gen passenger side seat and tracks..

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Nova Thug,

You've provided a great insight to my dilemma. And your picture attachment is worth a thousand words. I think that the inner and outer tracks under my bucket seats are very similar, maybe even exactly the same. But that's based on what I can see by looking under the bucket seats using a flashlight. I believe that it's possible for my bucket seats to be swapped. If so, I should be able to move the good to fair driver's seat over to the passenger side and put the excellent condition passenger seat on the driver's side.

Thanks,

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Guys,
Just to let you know, I swapped the bucket seats on my '70 Nova. Piece of cake. Unbolted the seats from the floor board, took them out, flipped them over, removed the seat (forward/back) adjustment rails from the bottom of the driver seat and put them on the bottom of the passenger seat and visa versa. I then bolted down the seats in the car. And what was the passenger seat is now the driver's seat and visa versa. Thanks for your ideas and input. All of you were a big help.

Dennis, AKA Troy Trojan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts