Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I removed the dash from the 68 today for future installation into my 69.

The dash in the parts car was complete and in decent shape.

Once I removed all the parts I was ready to start cutting spot welds to get the rest of the dash out. Just because it is not bolted or screwed in doesn't mean it can't be removed.

I used an air sander to help locate the spot welds. The sander removes the rust from the surface but leaves it in the recessed spot welds so they are easier to see. I used a spot weld cutter from a company called "Blair", they work great. A regular 3/8" drill bit will work to but it does more damage.

Here is the complete steel dash removed from the car.

The good news was the I didn't have to cut spotwelds along the dash where the windshield meets it. It was so rotted that it just fell apart. The bad news is this will have to be repaired later. That's ok because this area can be be repaired by adapting a 69-72 part.

I was not done there I still need all the bracing and brackets that are specific to the 68, including the pedal/column bracket.

Well there you have it everything remove and ready to be cleaned up, repaired and installed on my 69. That will be covered at a later date.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wow thats looks really neat with no dash in there! Have fun finishing it up!
P.S. don't let the feds know about the vin plate removal and re-install!

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Keep us posted, it looks like you have a bit of a job ahead of you.:yes:

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Is there a big difference between a 69 metal dash and a 68?
Yes, I'm not sure how to describe them all, but the heater controls are horizontal, the ignition key is in the dash, and the pad is puffier looking with the way it wraps. The actual clusters look very similar though.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there a big difference between a 69 metal dash and a 68?
Everything except the speedometer and the glove box lock is different. The bracing, steering, ashtray, glovebox, pad, a-pillars and kick panels are all different. It sits a bit closer to the windshield too. It's quite an involved swap but it is something I've always wanted to do so now I am.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Hey Something69, I have a 68' so if there's a pic of something you need to see during you swap,, let me know and I'll try to snap a shot.

I am planning on changing my dash (instrument cluster) to a dash from a Argentina built Nova.. Already bought the dash,,, just waiting on time...

Hey, anybody know where I can get about a dozen, snap in light sockets
(1/2"), with leads for back lighting and indicator lights?

Have fun!
Reggie

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Something69, I have a 68' so if there's a pic of something you need to see during you swap,, let me know and I'll try to snap a shot.

I am planning on changing my dash (instrument cluster) to a dash from a Argentina built Nova.. Already bought the dash,,, just waiting on time...

Hey, anybody know where I can get about a dozen, snap in light sockets
(1/2"), with leads for back lighting and indicator lights?

Have fun!
Reggie
That dash is cool. Is that what they had in Argentina? Where did you find one of those?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I got it from member 72Orange... I think he got it from a guy named Martin...Other members may know how to get in touch with him...I believe he's in Argentina....

Warning about the guages... they are metric....But I have a way around that,,, my brother-in-law owens a decal/sign shop and can print anything I need..

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
That dash is cool. Is that what they had in Argentina? Where did you find one of those?

Martin has given us a ton of information on the Novas of Argentina over the years. He has lots of pictures and of brochures on these cars. I like those dashes too. he also has pictures of the normal style Nova dash in Kilometers :cool:.

Tommy :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts