Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally pulled the old crusty (237,000 mile) 194 SIX and Powerglide out this weekend and readying myself to put the new 250 inline SIX and 350-TurboHydro in.

I will salvage the Oilpan and Oil pick-up from the 194, what else will I need to make this happen? Should I pop in a new Oil Pump in the 250 while I have the pan off? That engine has 48,000 miles on it.

I have a Offy manifold and I am looking for a 390-500 cfm carb to complete that part of the equation. More than likely will get a set of Clifford Headers if they will fit a Chevy II or some Langdon's.

NO I will not consider a V8.

This one is going to be L6 Inline powered with eventual Turbo chrager added. I have a fast V8 Hot Rod so this Lil Deuce will be fun and differnet.

Any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated

James:D

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
The only way your going to reuse the oil pan and dip stick is to Redrill the block for the dip stick. It'll be much faster and wiser to just dimple the 250s oil pan at the drag link.The only time the drag link realy touchs the oil pan is at MAX turns. I have done this to mine on many different 250s. and NEVER once rubbed thourgh a oil pan in 17 plus yrs.
ANd as far as i know Clifford now only makes the shortie Headers for the chevyII bodys No more long tube.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good Advice on 250

Thanks Larry, I will try to dimple the pan and I do hope that means slightly. I guess I can do this with a rubber hammer and a 2 x 4 right where they would meet? Does it need much of a dimple or a good dent?:confused:

I think I like the Clifford headers more than the Langdons but are there any clearence issues with the Offy manifold or power steering?

Thanks and I am quite anxious to get this Six Cylinder party started!:cool:

James

·
Registered
818 Posts
With the plan to go with a turbo, the Stovebolt headers mght be a better choice. I have old Clifford shorties for the 292, and they are a tight fit by the stock steering box. With the new more generic Cliffords for the low deck engines, it may not be an issue; the Stovebolts do fit nice. Which ever headers you go with will likely need some minor clearance work between the intake and headers. Just make sure to fit them together if you are going to have them coated.

For the rear sump pan mod, I just used the round end of a ballpeen hammer as the motor with pan was set in the car. You could probably use some solid rod or a jack handle for pounding on to make a more finished appearance. If you are fortunate enough to have the dipstick tube as part the 194 pan, I personally would use it for a more factory look, but either does work.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
i used round Bar stock and a small hammer. The first time I did it with the drag Link BUT NOT a Smart way to go about. But I did just a few lite hits Just to Make a small mark on the Pan(to mar the paint) Then I pulled the motor back Out to do the Main work.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dentin The Pan

Well Lucky me I just bought a Cherry Picker (engine puller) and can lift the 250 up and set her in the bay to mark the place. Couldn't I just use the 194 pan (it's off now) and place it next to the 250 pan and eyeball the area that needs a dent?
And I guess I have to dent all the way across to clear the drag link?

Hope I get it right the first time or this is going to get ugly!

Turbo future...
and yes Bruce I still have plans to Turbo so I should be thinking along the lines of the Langdon's cast headers. However if you haven't seen the Spa Turbo exhaust manifold for these inline sixes, thenyou should check out Innovativeturbo.com (spelling?) and look it up. Quite nice and perfect for Chevy IIs. But at $600 it's just part of the $2500 or so it cost to turbo-charge. Ouch.

JK

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'm doing the same thing with my 65 wagon. I'm just going to use a Chevy II pan. I don't see why this wouldn't work.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
The earlier chevyII oil pans are a center sump pick-up. And anything Other then a early chevyII. Is a Rear sump pick-up. A True chevyII oil pan The pick-up sump sits Before the drag link. a Rear sump Pan sets Behind the drag Link. This is why some 250 pans rub the drag link. It really doesn't take much to clear the drag link. But right where the flat of the pan starts to roll down is where you need to put the slight dimple. (right in that curve)

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
and for the trouble...

This is really helpful info because I thought I would have to use my original 194 ChevyII pan and pick up. Other questions followed like the how do I get the dipstick to work ?
So this IS the easiest way to accomplish putting the 250 in my Chevy II. I will just carefully dimple the pan where siad and I should have enough room to clear the draglink. This is not as scary as with the V8 pan set up, where you can't use a later model Nova pan at all.

Oaky I am going for IT! Dimple Time!

Back at you later.:D

JK

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
I'm using a non Chevy II 250ci in my '66 Nova.I called around some machine shops to see if they would drill the dipstick hole and no one wanted to touch it.I did it myself by first drilling a pilot hole and using an incrementally sized number of drills,it came out nicely.If you decide to go this route just take your time and let the drill do its work,line it up right and don't force it while drilling.

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
When I did an inline 6 swap, the oil pan, oil pickup, and dipstick from my original 194 were swapped to a 230 L6 with no modifications. There was a plug in the block near the distributor that had to be tapped out and then the dipstick tube from the 194 tapped in. The removed plug was then inserted into the rear of the block where the 230's dipstick tube was located.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since I have the engine out on a stand...

I am going to dimple the oilpan on the inline six this weekend.

Larry Twisted6 are you out there?

I would love a picture of what you have done.

However I think I can accomplish this one, if I take my time. I just hope the oiilpan holds up.

How deep a dimple? I am thinking about an inch....

James

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Hey i didn't forget you. I just didn't have the time to snap the Pic i will first thing in the morning and send it off to you.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hey Twisted,
Do you still have those pics and can you post them on this thread. I wouldn't mind having a look at the dimpled pan since I am going to swap my 194 (cracked head) for a 230 tomorrow.
I also wouldn't mind hearing how things turned out for you Fredsgarage.

:canada:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Hello simmondj

I have posted Pictures of the Oil pan on my web site The link is oil pan issue.
I hope this link works for you. http://www.t6racing.org/id9.html I'm also trying to get me a few extra oil pans which should help out many others in the long run In making this kinda swap. I hope you look around watch some vids and injoy the site.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hey Twisted,

Sorry I didn't post sooner. I checked out your pics and installed my new used 230 in last week. Everythings running great and with a new clutch I can even get a little squack outta the tires.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks Twisted

Thanks Twisted for helping us Inline Deuces out. I think there is a market for those modified oil pans if you start collecting them. First Gen Six Pans are hard to find, but if the larger (newer) sixes make better replacements (the really do) then they will all need these pans. And Heck if more folks want to race their Sixes like you, they will need these Mod-Pans too!

Can't wait to get my Carb on the Offy attach some headers and GO!

james:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts