Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, i'm an amateur mechanic and newbie, please go easy on me. I have a 73 that needs suspension underneath it. My question is, would the other X body platforms (Omega, Apollo, Ventura, Skylark, etc.) suspension be swappable to my nova? If there were same year ranges (years 71-74?). I also found a 71 Vega roller nearby on a local classifieds, would something like that work as well? In my research i see that it was GM's H Platform... Anyways, any information is welcomed! Thank you guys for your input and wisdom!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
X-body suspension will work, as well as 1st gen F-body (I currently have Camaro Z28 front springs). X-body parts can go 68-74.
Awesome! Thank you very much for the info and your response. That is very helpful. So just to clarify, for those you mentioned that includes all suspension correct? (everything from control arms, coil springs, spindles to the rear axle, the leaf springs, etc.)?

·
Registered
1972 Nova
330 Posts
Most everything is completely swappable. The only real difference I know of with parts is that the front leaf spring pocket/mount is different between the Nova and Camaro (Camaro will make the car sit 1" lower). If anybody else knows of other parts that are different, they will hopefully chime in.

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,055 Posts
Yes, in general, both front and rear suspension components will interchange among 1968 - 1974 X-body and 1967 - 1969 F-body cars. The rear suspension will also interchange with 1975 - 1979 X-body cars.

Of course, there were some differences over the years (and depending on how the car was optioned). For example, there were numerous different spring rates used, different front spindles for drum vs. disc brakes, different rear spring perches for mono vs. multi-leaf rear springs, and the X vs. F-body leaf spring mounts that sudden_impulse mentioned. And there were 4 different rear axles ... 8.2" 10-bolt or 8.875" 12-bolt used up through 1971, 8.5" 10-bolt used in all 1972 - 75 and some 1976 - 79, and the least desirable 7.5" 10-bolt used in some 76 - 79.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, in general, both front and rear suspension components will interchange among 1968 - 1974 X-body and 1967 - 1969 F-body cars. The rear suspension will also interchange with 1975 - 1979 X-body cars.

Of course, there were some differences over the years (and depending on how the car was optioned). For example, there were numerous different spring rates used, different front spindles for drum vs. disc brakes, different rear spring perches for mono vs. multi-leaf rear springs, and the X vs. F-body leaf spring mounts that sudden_impulse mentioned. And there were 4 different rear axles ... 8.2" 10-bolt or 8.875" 12-bolt used up through 1971, 8.5" 10-bolt used in all 1972 - 75 and some 1976 - 79, and the least desirable 7.5" 10-bolt used in some 76 - 79.
Ray_McAvoy Thank you for your input it is much appreciated! All that is beyond helpful. Now I have some options moving forward.Thanks guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts