Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!, i'm very new on this, actually this is my first thread!, and i'm new to cars recons. too! the thing is like this, i bought a 307- 1972 nova in a very good shape, and found a corvette 350 engine to make the swap...where do i have to pay extra attention? it fits with out any major changes??...thanks a lot to ALL for your help!!

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
The engine will bolt in, but you may need to swap some parts off your old engine. Is it an L82 (finned aluminum valve covers) or is it an L48 engine (blue valve covers)?
The L48 is the essentially the same engine as in a Caprice, and in California it only made 175 hp @4000 rpm. I hope you didn't pay extra for the "Corvette" sales tool.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
i saw

a forged crank the other day that was took out of a 73-74 vette. It had the crappy 882 heads n stuff , but the crank is forged. Is this typical ???

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
The 73-74 Corvette L82 had a forged crank and 4 bolt mains but didn't come with the small valve "882" heads. The 1973 175 Hp and 1974 195 Hp base 350 had casting # 33382 heads in the 74-75 Corvette but it also had a cast crank and 2 bolt mains.

If it had 4 bolt mains and a forged crank, it could have been a truck engine that had replaced the original L48 or was an L82 with heads that had been replaced.

1978 L82 heads should be casting # 462624 and have 2.02" intake valves.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
307 to 350 swap

ok it's a L82 with heads replaced...but..!....they sold it yesterday...went to the shop...and well...best luck next time!! :eek:....any way...still searching!! for the 350...any recomendations ...what you think my friend??
tks a lot...

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
I think you actually lucked out. That "Corvette" engine wasn't what you thought it was and I'm guessing there were some more "little white lies of omission" about it.

As far as I know, 350's are still fairly common in California.
Get educated on what to look for and how to check out a used engine.
This site has a ton of information and first hand experiences (good and bad) with exactly what you are trying to do.

If you are going to build an engine, you only need the block. Everything else you can purchase in kits. You'll need to find an expert machinist that can do quality work, this may be harder to find than a good block.

Be aware that rebuilding a old engine isn't as cheap for a novice as mass produced engines. You need a lot of tools and expertise and parts bought retail add up to more than if bought in volume.

Instead of trying to rebuild a used engine, I'd recommend buying an assembled short block from reputable source and installing aftermarket heads, cam and intake.

IMO, the best bang for the buck and easiest would be a complete GM crate engine.

If you just want a running used engine, check the "pick and pulls" regularly.
Boneyard shopping is an art and can be a fun adventure.

Whatever route you choose, just remember this axiom: If it sounds to good to be true it probably is.

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts
I think you actually lucked out. That "Corvette" engine wasn't what you thought it was and I'm guessing there were some more "little white lies of omission" about it.

IMO, the best bang for the buck and easiest would be a complete GM crate engine.
Paul, you are right on the money. :yes:

You cannot beat a GM crate engine for value. Is it more expensive than a rebuilt? Yes. But you get what you pay for - all new parts.

My $0.02 - buy a new GM crate. Do not buy a rebuilt unless you personally know the rebuilder and he has a good reputation.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
If you purchase a standard 350 GM Crate engine you will have a 3yr 100k warranty.
5.7 Ltr 350 LF5 1972 - 1988 New Goodwrench Engine 10067353
Sells around 1600.00

If you purchase a GM Performance engine you will have a 2yr 50k warranty.
The 350/290hp enigne is by for the best bang for the buck. 100% new!
350 Crate Engine 290 HP HO 12499529 Sells for around 2000.00

Price around it's also better to purchase from dealer.

If warranty does happen when purchased from mail order can cause delays.

California is a hot bed for GM Powertrain. You should be able to get great deal if you price around.

And if you should have any issue I can help you. I dought very seriously you will.

Both of these engines I listed will be a direct swap with your 307. Could be done in a day with ease.

Al

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah...Crate all the way. Unless you are rebuilding the 350, know the person rebuilding it personally, or have seen what the motor can do personally before it was pulled out, you can only go by a complete strangers word and the infamous "AS IS" policy which IMO means SOL. If it goes out that same day you are out that money, plus your time and efforts, not to metion the additional cash to either rebuild it or replace it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually, i went to the shop and ask the guy if he can explain me a little more and he said sorry my friend it was you or some dude, so i think i was very lucky about it!... the other problem is that i'm not in San josé Cali..i'm in a small country in central america called Costa Rica, so it's very very hard to me find all the stuff i really need, and the few things you can find here i think that the owners doesn't know what they have!! the guy looked a little lost after i pull out the past post you send...any way thanks a lot! for your help and hope to post some pics soon!..

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
I tried looking up GM dealerships in Costa Rica, but the Cherolet site didn't have a link for that country. I think there has to be a GM dealership somewhere down there. I traveled in Mexico and they had them all the way southern end and they have them in Columbia.

I think you have annual inspections and import taxes to deal with according to www.therealcostarica.com

Buying a used engine in the USA can be a real crap shoot much less in Costa Rica.
My mental warning alarm was going "whoop whoop" when you described it.
The guy had a blank look because he didn't know what to say to an informed customer.
That 175 hp "Corvette" engine would have not been worth the expense and trouble to swap. I'll bet when the other buyer checks the VIN pad numbers, he'll find out that engine was out of a '78 pickup truck. It's probably worn out, too.

Unless you have a lot of money and patience, I would say keep the 307 in there. We have a saying: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

If you are still keen on it, I would try to import a GM crate engine. Be prepared to also have to buy other parts as well. Usually when you take an engine out you uncover all the other things that need replacement.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey guys!, i find a dealer down here and the sales guy send me this:

Engine Name:
ZZ4 350:
Engine type:
Chevy small-block V-8
Ignition timing:
10 degree BTDC @ 800 rpm 32 degree total @ 4000 rpm with vacuum advance disconnected
Maximum rpm:

the price!!..and i'm still recovering... is $11.000 + plus...for the engine here ( about $7000 for the engine, the rest import tax )....the thing is the 307 is not a very usual engine specially here, and the 350 is more common and easy to find replacements...what do you think?

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
That's a lot of bread for that motor.

And by the way, the 307 uses different motor mounts than the 350. Ask me how I know. :confused:

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Hey guys!, i find a dealer down here and the sales guy send me this:

Engine Name:
ZZ4 350:
Engine type:
Chevy small-block V-8
Ignition timing:
10 degree BTDC @ 800 rpm 32 degree total @ 4000 rpm with vacuum advance disconnected
Maximum rpm:

the price!!..and i'm still recovering... is $11.000 + plus...for the engine here ( about $7000 for the engine, the rest import tax )....the thing is the 307 is not a very usual engine specially here, and the 350 is more common and easy to find replacements...what do you think?
is this a complete?

the ZZ4 is available in many stages.
Price is outrageous!

Do some research
http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/store/nbspnbspSmall-Blocks-C53.aspx

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
I guessed 10 grand to get a 350 crate engine in Costa Rica.
There's no easy and cheap way to ship a heavy engine all that way from the USA. The difference between the USA price and the $7k Costa Rica price is shipping. Add $4000 for import duty, tax and expediter fees and you get 11 grand.
I've heard of similar high importation costs to get speed stuff from USA to other countries.
Personally, I'd leave the 307 in there.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
How healthy is the 307? Maybe you'd be satisfied with305 torquer heads and a four barrel carb/intake and exhausts. IMO the 307 is better than a 305 and they run and run,My 68 pick-up been running 20 years now and it was used to begin with. A four barrel helps these motors out,if you've been driving a four cylinder car you might be happy rodding the smaller motor,might get slightly better gas mileage too (than the 350)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i can't imagine how you know my friend but thanks for the precious tip!! jeje...the 307 it's not at 100%, and spend to much time on the far end corner of the past owner ( like 10 yrs!! ).... i have to pay now the past 10 yrs taxes :wow: not funny... ouch!!.....still in the original budget but less for parts now :awkward: ....we check it and found that #6 it's not working at all...and a friend talk me about swaping with the 350, i still think that is a good idea because probably i have to import everything from the states for the 307, and with the 350 still have the chance to find more parts here.

How you solve the motor mounts problem??...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts