Chevy Nova Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,437 Posts
Is the ignition switch a '63 ???

Just a thought: You may need a newer style (64-65) ignition switch to match the AAW harness wiring. (???)

- (I'm not familiar with the AAW harnesses) - :no:

·
Premium Member
2,621 Posts
The Car is a 1963 SS convertible with Floor shift. The SS saftey switch was bypassed untill he repairs his switch or buys one.... The Harness is a direct replacement type by AAW .....however they state 63-64 its an 64 by the colors.... Brian you could disconnect the bypass until the signals and brake light wires are indexed to work ....for saftey reasons...:rolleyes:

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
I have the HEI unplugged so its not going anywhere,I will start another thread for this discussion as we are clouding the OP

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Brian,

The original post on this thread is a_h_24 trying to install a 65 turn signal switch in a 63

my suggestion to him was to get a 63 switch

the second guy the FLYER would like to install a 63 switch into a 64

I mentioned that he will have electrical gremlins due to schematic changes in 63-64

you are trying to do the same thing...install a 63 switch with a 64 dash harness.

this can be done.i have done it.you will have to study both the 63 and 64 schematics to find the actuall differences.then move the wires around to operate properly.

how about this.........

sell your 64 harness to the FLYER if he hasn't already ordered one.you order a 63 SS underdash with floor shift

the FLYER can trade his 63 switch to a_h_24 and order a 64 switch

then you all sit back and relax untill the parts arrive.It will take you that many days to figue it all out anyways if you all have a full time job.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
i have the AAW harness already in my shop... i have the terminal receptacle too, just a matter of terminating the wires and plugging it in. i have both '63 & '64 schematics & the AAW images showing connections. i'm thinking i'll have my end handled... ;)

sure appreciate the common-sense though. a whole buncha guys swip-swapping parts around and everyone getting hooked up. that'd be a case of NPHNP if i ever saw one. ;)

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
If you have the custom harness that you need to finish off the ends your fine follow the instructions and you will be fine,if its the factory fit we will see.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
When I get this sorted out I will start a new thread but for now

Key in accesory signal switch in left signal the flasher cycles and the starter engages when the flasher cycles:eek:
Key in accessory? That accessory position is not avail until 65!

A 63-64 Ignition switch only has Off ,Start and Run.

Hmmm.......Starter engages when flasher cycles.....

I believe you said you had a 64 underdash harness,but off the top of my head a 65 underdash harness has a separate flasher connector shaped like a V could you possibly have connected this to the nuetral safety connector which also has a V? These would be a green and pink wires or green and pink with a green stripe.This can possibly connected to the fuel gauge.

Another thing i would check is the T shaped Nuetral Safety Switch connector connected to the back of the SS cluter? Maybe the Neutral safety circuit is getting back feeded from the instrument cluster temp gauge.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I got a 63 from c2o. I could get 20% off at autozone and the 65 switch had a lifetime warranty. So I would never have to buy another. That was my idea, I was being cheap or smart just depends on how you look at it. :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Also, I pluged it a 63 and 65 switch, both worked correctly but the wire colors were off on the 65. Just in case someone was wondering

21 - 29 of 29 Posts