Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here' an idea that I've been knocking around in my head for while, I'm sure I'm not the first one but I've had little success in finding information aside that from:
http://www.pozziracing.com/first_gen_suspension.htm

As you probably know the sub frame out of a Gen 1 Camaro is identical to that of a Gen 3 Nova.
Pozziracing.com supplies information on everything from the Gouldstrand mod/suspension geometry to wiring recommendations all in reference to Vintage Trans-Am racing.

Now, with that said, I've been considering taking my '72 Nova and making the same modifications used to make a Gen 1 Camaro successful on a road course.

Such as:
-Relocating the Upper control arm bolt holes (rather than cutting off and relocating the whole mount) - By Gouldstrand
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/chassis-suspension/0607phr-car-handling-
tech/
- Upgraded fr. sway bar - possibly 1.125 in- hollow
- Larger front brakes & rear disc conversion
- Increased spring rate all around as well as decrease ride height (maintaining leaf springs )
-sub frame connectors
-Solid Mounts subframe mounts

What are your thoughts on the idea of a creating a Vintage Trans-Am looking Nova and how do you think the car would perform with modifications above?
Recommendations?/Critique?/Thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
493 Posts
I think it would perform similar to the Gen 1 Camaros but I believe the 3rd gen Novas are a tad heavier.

I would do it to a 3rd gen Nova over a 2nd gen just based on the front suspension setup alone. Plus I own a 3rd gen and think it would be so frickin cool if you built a car in the vintage trans am spirit.

Please do it! You would be my hero! :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the interest!
The car currently has a 350 .060 over, mild comp cam, m20, 8.5in 3:73 10 bolt.
Currently suspension is all stock just rebuild minus the subframe connectors, adjustable Slide-a-link bars and some goofy spring shackles because my leafs are shot.

Currently, all my tires rub. What are you running on your gen 3?

My rear meats are too wide and my fronts to much side wall which comes to my other issue.

If I do decide to take the plunge into the conversion, what rear leafs would I go with, the car is basically straight line at the moment so I considered raising the rear with a beefier spring but for the corners, not a good idea.

The best route would probably be mini tub and different backspacing so can go from road tire to drag radial.

·
Registered
12 Posts
svra

we race in svra and I have seen a couple novas but few and far between they do some crazy stuff to wheelwells to fit tires check the mustangs too they are more tire limited than the camaro

·
Registered
493 Posts
Thanks for the interest!
The car currently has a 350 .060 over, mild comp cam, m20, 8.5in 3:73 10 bolt.
Currently suspension is all stock just rebuild minus the subframe connectors, adjustable Slide-a-link bars and some goofy spring shackles because my leafs are shot.

Currently, all my tires rub. What are you running on your gen 3?

My rear meats are too wide and my fronts to much side wall which comes to my other issue.

If I do decide to take the plunge into the conversion, what rear leafs would I go with, the car is basically straight line at the moment so I considered raising the rear with a beefier spring but for the corners, not a good idea.

The best route would probably be mini tub and different backspacing so can go from road tire to drag radial.

I'm pretty sure all those trans am cars have flared fenders to fit those big meaty tires. You can still fit a decent tire under a third gen Nova, but backspacing is KEY!

My setup is very simple on my car and its very low, but my wheels don't rub at all and I autocross the car.

I'm just running some Hotchkis lower leaf springs with Global West del-a-lum bushings (those were key to stop the rear tires rubbing the fenders) and lowering blocks. Also, relocated the shocks inboard of the leaf springs (this isn't necessary unless you want to fit the maximum amount of tire. I have about a good inch between the leaf spring and the tire.)

In the front I have some tubular control arms, but you could just modify your stock arms (gulstrand mod) and put some nice bushings in them. Then coilovers and a 1 1/8" sway bar. I also have subframe connectors and those really help to stiffen these unibody cars up.

Poly urethane body mounts and a quick ratio steering box are some other things I did too.

As for wheels... well I'm running 18s so I don't know what kind of tire size you would want to run on the 15" wheels I'm sure you want to go with. But I do know that you want more backspacing than most off the shelf wheels will give you. I have 4.5" backspacing on a 7" wide wheel up front with a 235 section tire and it does not rub. I had other wheels with only 4" backspacing and they did rub badly. So that extra half inch of backspacing is crucial.

In the back I have 5.25" backspacing on an 8" wheel with a 255 section tire. You could probably go with 5" and get away with it. Just depends on how low you want the car.

I think that maybe a TVS kit from hotchkis or something similar would be a great start for your car. Wheels and tires will make or break the car IMO.

What kind of wheels do you want to run? Minilites would look cool as would some vintage looking torque thrust style wheels with the matt gray spokes.

I like to imagine what a 3rd gen Nova would look like with the Sunoco livery and some Minilites. I think it would look badass!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm pretty sure all those trans am cars have flared fenders to fit those big meaty tires. You can still fit a decent tire under a third gen Nova, but backspacing is KEY!

My setup is very simple on my car and its very low, but my wheels don't rub at all and I autocross the car.

I'm just running some Hotchkis lower leaf springs with Global West del-a-lum bushings (those were key to stop the rear tires rubbing the fenders) and lowering blocks. Also, relocated the shocks inboard of the leaf springs (this isn't necessary unless you want to fit the maximum amount of tire. I have about a good inch between the leaf spring and the tire.)

In the front I have some tubular control arms, but you could just modify your stock arms (gulstrand mod) and put some nice bushings in them. Then coilovers and a 1 1/8" sway bar. I also have subframe connectors and those really help to stiffen these unibody cars up.

Poly urethane body mounts and a quick ratio steering box are some other things I did too.

As for wheels... well I'm running 18s so I don't know what kind of tire size you would want to run on the 15" wheels I'm sure you want to go with. But I do know that you want more backspacing than most off the shelf wheels will give you. I have 4.5" backspacing on a 7" wide wheel up front with a 235 section tire and it does not rub. I had other wheels with only 4" backspacing and they did rub badly. So that extra half inch of backspacing is crucial.

In the back I have 5.25" backspacing on an 8" wheel with a 255 section tire. You could probably go with 5" and get away with it. Just depends on how low you want the car.

I think that maybe a TVS kit from hotchkis or something similar would be a great start for your car. Wheels and tires will make or break the car IMO.

What kind of wheels do you want to run? Minilites would look cool as would some vintage looking torque thrust style wheels with the matt gray spokes.

I like to imagine what a 3rd gen Nova would look like with the Sunoco livery and some Minilites. I think it would look badass!

Thanks a bunch for the great feed back and thorough info!
I plan to hand onto the 15 in rim size. I've started the inboard shock relocation just have to weld in the rear shock mounts.

I'll have to do some backspace measuring to make the best of the space.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
What are your thoughts on the idea of a creating a Vintage Trans-Am looking Nova and how do you think the car would perform with modifications above?
Recommendations?/Critique?/Thoughts? Thanks!

This pic inspired me to build my Nova. I'm exactly with you. I had to stay with the modification you mentioned above, partly because i like the old school style, partly because i have to have my car registered as classic and i'm limited with modern modifications. I think you'll be great with what you planned. Do your homework and take your time. Most time please to show us your progress!

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
'66 Trans Am

This pic inspired me to build my Nova. I'm exactly with you. I had to stay with the modification you mentioned above, partly because i like the old school style, partly because i have to have my car registered as classic and i'm limited with modern modifications. I think you'll be great with what you planned. Do your homework and take your time. Most time please to show us your progress!
I have been a fan of Trans Am since I was 10 years old my hero was Mark Donohue he drove for Chevrolet and American Motors .The Trans Am style is very unique and is rarely seen especially in a Nova .Bouncer, that is a beautiful car it looks retro yet modern .I found this picture of a 66 nova that actually competed in Trans Am racing in '69 and '70 it is currently being restored the caption said it was the only Nova to actually compete in the Trans Am series.I would be interested in knowing what suspension modifications were done to the '66 back in '69 to make it competitive at racing speeds .(it looks like they raised the back of the hood for cooling purposes) The '72 is from Hot Rod magazine . In my opinion what makes these cars so aggressive looking are the bulging fender flares PS I just noticed both cars are number 95... coincidence ???

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts