Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys I'm thinking of ways to help improve handling on the 69.

Currently I’m sitting here with new stock rear multi-leafs and from-the-yard v8 front springs, with bolt-in CE subframe connectors and CE full length traction bars, and 15x8 rally wheels with 215/60r15 BFG radial t/as. There is no rear sway bar, but me so have an ST 1.25" front sway bar. Both front and rear suspensions were rebuilt with regular (not poly) bushings when I put the springs/sway bar in a couple years back. I am running Gabriel shocks, whatever the premium ones are from AutoZone, that are a couple years old.

How it handles now...? Well, I think I got spoiled by driving newer Euro sport sedans that ride stiff, but minus the engine power of the nova. The nova on the road feels fine in a straight line like most any car. Hit a bump, the front feels ok but the back feels stiff.. I’m thinking this is the traction bars? Other than that, the front of the car is pretty level in the turns, but feels on the sloppy side and doesn’t really feel glued down to the road. What I also noticed is that with the car sitting still, I can push and shake the car and a lot of the wobble seems to come from the tires themselves. They’re not under inflated, just really soft. The car rocks a little, and the tires look like stiff sponges squishing around… as if the tires are softer than the suspension. So, I was thinking that moving up to a 16x8 wheel with some sportier tires or something may help the ride and handling bigtime? In addition to the wheels and tires, I was thinking of doing some upgrades of Bilstein heavy duty shocks, and a rear sway bar, and hopefully this will be a step in the right direction. What do you guys think?

edit: Oh yeah, I know there are big dollar things out there like coilovers and tubular control arms and centerdrive rear suspensions and stuff, but I'm keeping this on a budget.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
a taller rim with a shorter sidewall(as you said) should help the handling and get rid of the "stiff sponges squishing around" feel you get from your current tires....BUT IMO that will not help the ride quality persay...as a lot of a cars ride quality comes from the tire's sidewalls along with the suspension absorbing the bumps. The shorter sidewall tires are stiffer which will lead to a better handling car but it will also lead to a rougher ridding car...again JMO...:)

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
When you reach the limits of control in a corner, which way does the car go? Does it push the front wheels through the corner or does the rear end swing out?

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, i guess the ride quality i'm looking for is stiffer, so yeah i think my first thing to do may be new wheels and tires. the problem here is doing it for cheap! :eek:

currently i don't have much room around the rear tires, only about a finger or so of room between the tire and fender. i was thinking of getting cheap black d-window wheels in 16x7 with 225/60r15 tires, maybe sumitomo coz at least they're cheap and i wouldn't feel that bad about roasting $140 for two rear tires lol...

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
You will want to get a sway bar on the back I suspect and possibly you will want to switch to poly bushings...But ya as Mike asked does your car over steer(back end trying to spin out) or under steer(front end plows straight through a corner) when you get to the limits of the suspension???

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mike Goble said:
When you reach the limits of control in a corner, which way does the car go? Does it push the front wheels through the corner or does the rear end swing out?
well, if i give it gas, the tail would swing out... but if i hold it, it feels like the front end 'digs' in at the start of the turn... then as i exit the turn it feels like it comes back. i don't know if that is from the front tires folding over/being squishy or what though.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
im running a 17x8 in the rear with a 275/40 falken tire, with hotckis springs in the back and the car handles way better than before, i would like to put a sway bar in the back, but havent yet..i ordered the complete poly bushing, shackle and spring package straight from hotckis..
i also have hotckis front springs, these a real nice piece for the money..they are real thick and stiff..i noticed an improvment up front, i would like to put a 1.25" hollow sways bar upfront..also later add some global west arms..i was going to do the gulstrand mod but since im ordering new arms i put that on the back burner..

all in all where im at now i noticed a night and day difference compared to the stock stuff

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
17x8s and the necessary tires would most likely be out of my price range, as the tubular control arms... and i doubt the 275s would fit either unfortunately... what shocks are you running?

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
the tubular arms are later not now...

the shocks are monroes..i think i paid $9 a shock..i think if upgraded those that would be a slight improvment

you should be able to fit that size tire under there, even if you go with a 16" rim...im just running an 8" wide rim with 4.75" bsp and i have plenty of room. the springs are a 1.5" drop multileaf

i had a 15x7" rally rim with 265/50's and no rubbing at all, you should be able to find a 7" wide rim for next too nothing.

im not sure, but i dont think traction bars would help out your car corner. if anything it might make it worse..remove them and find out..also a good set of body mount , control arm and leaf spring shackle bushings will help out too

1 - 9 of 9 Posts