Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car hit a bump today and pulled hard to the left I continued driving and then it pulled right. :eek: Car is fine now but it makes squeaky sounds. I found it it was my stock hubcaps being pressed into the rims. I recently installed my front coils and shocks after my front shock went out. I have new multi-leafs and shocks in the back. I know I need my front end aligned but I am going to install the cpp sub-frame kit soon so I was going to wait.

Is this due to the eccentrics moving and my alignment being screwed up?
Can I tighten my eccentric bolts as a temporary fix?
My wheels appear to be slanted inward at the bottom. I'm kind of scared to drive the car now but I never had problems before. Is this the common and infamous alignment issue of the 1st gen I have heard so much about?:(
I am low on money and my nova is my only running vehicle. Need to drive it back and forth to school (5 minute drive) so I can do some the body work. Don't know if it's safe?:confused:

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
It sounds like your alignment cams may have slipped.By squeaking sounds do you mean tires squeaking or something in the front suspension squeaking?Anyway for piece of mind I would have it inspected and aligned.If something moved it will handle poorly and be potentionally dangerous,it will trash the front tires quickly as well.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can I fix It

I thought the squeaking was caused by my tires but the stock hub caps were squeaking against the rims due to some pressure. I removed them and it seems fine now. I know I was going to need my front end realigned but can I adjust it myself and tighten the cams so I can drive it to school? Just a temporary fix. I'm low on money and don't know how much alignment costs.:(

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
My car hit a bump today and pulled hard to the left I continued driving and then it pulled right. :eek: Car is fine now but it makes squeaky sounds. I found it it was my stock hubcaps being pressed into the rims. I recently installed my front coils and shocks after my front shock went out. I have new multi-leafs and shocks in the back. I know I need my front end aligned but I am going to install the cpp sub-frame kit soon so I was going to wait.

Is this due to the eccentrics moving and my alignment being screwed up?
Can I tighten my eccentric bolts as a temporary fix?
My wheels appear to be slanted inward at the bottom. I'm kind of scared to drive the car now but I never had problems before. Is this the common and infamous alignment issue of the 1st gen I have heard so much about?:(
I am low on money and my nova is my only running vehicle. Need to drive it back and forth to school (5 minute drive) so I can do some the body work. Don't know if it's safe?:confused:
Is the car tracking straight still? After the big bump. Almost sounds like a steering arm sleeve slipped, shortening up the drivers side so it pulled left. Then when normal forces were back and it slid back into position (longer on the drivers side) and pushed the steering right hard when it did. So now its back at the normal straight driving position but could slip again? I would go under the car and check all the steering system bolts. Free diagnostic insurance. I have actually found bolts missing. These old cars can sometimes end up missing parts if its been a few years. JR

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Car was fine before I installed new coils and shocks. A couple weeks ago my front passenger side shock went out so I installed the new parts. Car drove smoothly and alignment was never bad enough for to concern me either before the install or slightly after it. On Tuesday I had this little experience. Was this due to the new suspension? I was going to wait to do the cpp lower a-arms to align it.:mad: Well what other parts will I need when I install the cpp kit?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Car was fine before I installed new coils and shocks. A couple weeks ago my front passenger side shock went out so I installed the new parts. Car drove smoothly and alignment was never bad enough for to concern me either before the install or slightly after it. On Tuesday I had this little experience. Was this due to the new suspension? I was going to wait to do the cpp lower a-arms to align it.:mad: Well what other parts will I need when I install the cpp kit? Will check steering system. Not familiar with it yet but I will get to know it soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts