Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay heres the info, 1972 stock suspension, going to redo front and rear, not looking to do a full clip or 4 link, although a 4 link and mini tubs will come sometime in the future. the goal is to lower the car 2'' front and rear, and take some punishment in the twisties. the car is being built to turn not to drag. I haven't heard good things about drop spindles (issues with backspacing?) so will go with drop springs or coilovers if I can fit them in the budget. Just trying to get some help putting a package together and a few questions answered. Benefits of a tall spindle with new control arms? hallow vs solid sway bar, recommended diameter? Anybody use the cpp A-arms seem like the best bang for the buck.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
For $3000 here's what I'd get for mine (except that I'm running a 4 link and went with a new front sub): Speed Tech upper and lower control arms with coil overs and tie rod sleeves $1482 http://www.speedtech-performance.co...egory_id=215/home_id=215/mode=prod/prd133.htm And the Hotckis TVS system which gives you rear leafs that lower 2", front and rear sway bars. If you don't want to use the coil overs, this kit also comes with front coil springs or just sell them after you get it. I like the coil overs though as you can adjust. $1382 for this kit. http://www.hotchkis.net/6874_nova_tvs_system_small_block.html Add another $317 and you can get all new steering linkages: http://www.hotchkis.net/6874_nova_w_power_steering_premium_steering_rebuild_kit.html

Give Frank at www.gpsuperstore.com a call, he's a dealer for all those and I know he has good deals going all the time. I know for a while there he was giving free shipping and I think he had a discount on Hotchkis.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Three grand for twistys! :yes::yes::yes: I'd do one of three things.

1. Call Hotchkis and order their complete setup.
2. Call Global West and get their setup
3. Get Hotchkis springs, swaybar, and GW UCAs for the front and call Frank at Prodigy Customs for his Prodigy Bar rear suspension setup.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
3 grand is gonna get you some great shocks or coil overs and a sway bar and new bushings all around. Then you may have a grand to play with, all depends on your coil over choice. With that change you will notice alot of improvement. New bushings all around will help alot. JR

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hotchkis TVS + Hotchkis upper and lower arms + Hotchkis weld on subframe connectors
Global west body bushings
Easton Posi

/thread

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Been doing a lot of reading, Looking at doing GW uca's, hotchkis sway bar, qa1 coilovers that use the stock upper spring perch, and probably the probably the prodigy bar out back.

What are the thoughts on the prodigy bar vs hotckis rear springs and sway bar?
Has any one done an aftermarket UCA with the gulstrand mod?

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
You should check out the Lateral-G forums. They have been very helpful for me in exactly what I want.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Been doing a lot of reading, Looking at doing GW uca's, hotchkis sway bar, qa1 coilovers that use the stock upper spring perch, and probably the probably the prodigy bar out back.

What are the thoughts on the prodigy bar vs hotckis rear springs and sway bar?
Has any one done an aftermarket UCA with the gulstrand mod?
I have the prodigy bar set up in my 68. I've installed it, but am not even close to having the car on the road. I really like the install and the fact that I can adjust the height. Check my build thread in my signature if you want to see pics of it.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
wow if you can build the whole front end with tubular control arms and the trick bushings and do the G bar and coil overs for 3k??? hell ya!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow if you can build the whole front end with tubular control arms and the trick bushings and do the G bar and coil overs for 3k??? hell ya!!!
looks like it would be about 3.5k to do all that, I'm trying to pick up a used set of GW control arms. that should save a little. I will probabaly wait until mid summer for the g bar so I can take car of a few other things that are needed :)

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
Just cause you have $3K to spend doesn't mean you need to spend that much to make your car handle good.

Go to the Ponzzi Racing site and take a look at the First Generation Camaro Suspension information, this all applies to your 3rd Gen Nova as it's the identical sub frame and suspension. He has ton's of good information.

You might also take a look at the Team Camaro forum in the suspension area to see what Camaro boy's are doing.

I choose Global West upper arms, polygraphite ball joints and tie rod ends, 1" Addco solid front sway bar, MOOG #5536 front coils for a '71 LS6 (454) ElCamino cut to around 14", Rancho shocks, solid body mounts and I went to a quick ratio steering box.

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts
From another thread...

Suspension:

• Hotchkis TVS kit off of eBay was $1050 (free shipping)
  • Speed Tech control arms $1100 for upper and lower
  • Moog tie rod ends, stabalizer, and pitman arm $250ish I believe
  • Bilstein shocks (TVS tuned) were $100 each - so $400

So, $2800 total (excluding subframe connectors and wheels/tires). A lot of money if you think of it in the frame of mind that I put it all on a $3000 car, but really cheap for making a Nova handle like a new Corvette. :D

I fully suggest you check out scherp69's thread, and of course... my own build... :devil:

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
At the 3K price point, I'd avoided the lower arms. They really don't add much. CA does have a G bar setup as well. The coil overs use the same pivot and mounting points on the stock subframe.

How about (

Hotchkis springs (front and rear) and front sway bar.
Quality upper arms. (GW, DSE or speed tech)
Koni adjustable shocks.
Delrin lower bushings
solid body mounts and subframe connectors.
Rear shock relocation bar
mini tubs (don't relocate the springs)
seam weld the subframe if you can pull it out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts