Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a good write up on a homemade surge tank for EFI conversions on older cars. For those unfamiliar with this idea, OEM flat fuel tanks are not well suited to EFI. When you corner or accelerate quickly, the pick up in the tank can come uncovered and the pump can pick up air. A surge tank can be added to act as a reserve tank to insure that the engine always has fuel on demand. On a carbureted vehicle, the fuel bowl serves as a surge tank. The link will explain this in further detail.

http://users.ev1.net/~gbuzek/H%20tank%20info.htm

Warning: This page also has a four letter word that some may find offensive. (F**d)

·
Registered
312 Posts
That is a very good idea. i understand the problem. I have a TPI unit on my 62 and if I let the tank get below 1/4 tank it will stumble. How are they shutting the fuel off after the tank if full???

Mitch

tpinovaII said:
Found a good write up on a homemade surge tank for EFI conversions on older cars. For those unfamiliar with this idea, OEM flat fuel tanks are not well suited to EFI. When you corner or accelerate quickly, the pick up in the tank can come uncovered and the pump can pick up air. A surge tank can be added to act as a reserve tank to insure that the engine always has fuel on demand. On a carbureted vehicle, the fuel bowl serves as a surge tank. The link will explain this in further detail.

http://users.ev1.net/~gbuzek/H%20tank%20info.htm

Warning: This page also has a four letter word that some may find offensive. (F**d)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mitchc said:
That is a very good idea. i understand the problem. I have a TPI unit on my 62 and if I let the tank get below 1/4 tank it will stumble. How are they shutting the fuel off after the tank if full???

Mitch
The idea is to prevent any air from reaching the fuel rail. The surge tank will keep a small reserve tank of fuel that should not be effected by acceleration or hard cornering. The line that turns up (in the auxiliary tank) is the return to the original tank. Your return to the original tank needs to be at the highest point in the surge (or header) tank. Since air rises in liquid, it should be returned to the factory tank along with any excess fuel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts