Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on my buddy's 63 he has a th350 with one of them chrome trans pans. What is a good gasket to use on that? I know it is not recommended to use RTV on the gasket. Aside from using a stock pan or making sure the pan rails are straight any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
I always just used a Fel Pro gasket from my local Advanced with some Ultra Copper RTV. Why not use it? Just don't over do it.

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
I have had good success with just RTV.. tho I do like to use GE Silicone II for doing that..... MY method... clean both mating surfaces and one final wipe down with brake clean.

Apply a 3/8"X3/8" bead to the trans. not the pan.... use a couple of cut off bolts as studs... seat the pan to the goo... and let it rest for an hour....

then tighten...

this has worked very well for me....

others may have different results!:D

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Best method is to throw it as far far away as you can. I had the B&M deep chrome pan and never could get it to stop from leaking 100%. I just switched to a deep cast aluminum pan and no more leak!

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Best method is to throw it as far far away as you can. I had the B&M deep chrome pan and never could get it to stop from leaking 100%. I just switched to a deep cast aluminum pan and no more leak!
lol no doubt!!!

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
LOL I missed the chrome part!:slap::horse:

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
do not over tighten the bolts this is the first cause of all trans pans leaks it gets pushed out if you tighten it down to tight chrome pans are notorious for leaking imo they are a p.o.s. i use the b&m deepsump cast aluminum pans and i dont have a pan leak but the bolts from the front pump leak so it looks like i need to rip apart a trans soon :no:

·
Registered
508 Posts
grind the mating surface so the gasket has something to hold on to.
x2
mikey if you grind or sand the chrome of the pan it wont push the gasket out. The chrome is slick and always pushes the gasket. I just put the b&m one on my car and sanded off the chrome on the lip. It helped keep the gasket seated and didnt push it out. (no leaks)

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. I found the leaks were coming from the kickdown cable housing(missing o ring) and speedo cable O ring. While I was there I dropped the pan to service the trans. Boy lots of gunk and bronze material in there:confused:

So I sanded the gasket surface on the pan, replaced the pan plug gasket, and installed without overtightening the pan bolts. I did use some silicone on the kickdown cable housing and new o ring and also on the speedo housing. Drove the car wednesday and parked it overnight on some clean cardboard. Checked next day and NO LEAKS!!!!!

This car is almost leak free!!!:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts