Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody.

My '71 has been sitting at my house in Washington while I've been stationed in San Diego for the Navy for the last 4 years. I have about a year left down here, and I am starting to get the itch again:devil:... I have a 383 stroker in her right now, I have always wanted to drop small blower(142-177) on the motor I have. I have been toying with the Idea of buying an 5.3 LS1/tranny combo from a junk yard with all the electronics guts and slapping a turbo on it.

The easy route is just to rebuild my 383 for a blower, but I think a turbocharged LS1 would be the tits. It's not unthinkable to get 400+ hp out of a mildly built LS1 naturally aspirated either. I read a Super Chevy or Hotrod article a while ago that said I could get into a motor/trans combo out of a junk yard with all the necessary goodies for around 1500 bucks. Either way I think I could get into a new power plant, or rebuild my engine, and build my drive train to withstand my horsepower goals (450+) for around $3,500.00.

I have a little over a year to plan and save for it, as well as another 6 month deployment coming in October to save up.

Any input/suggestions are welcomed.

·
14,584 Posts
If you can afford it I would do the turbo LS. If not then just rebuild what you have and have fun with it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Man, I vote for the 383 with the blower, way cooler than a flippin' truck motor with a stupid turbo hanging off it...:)

Money wise, it'll be cheaper for you to just mount a Supercharger on the motor you have, and the power will be more than enough... :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts