Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Chevelle's and Camaros came with a different hood to put the SS grates on them. My question is, did Nova's?

I want to add the grates to the hood of my Nova and wonder if i can just put them on the hood i already have....

If i can, does anyone know EXACTLY where they go? Is there an exact measurement on where they should be placed?

thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I believe the stampings are the same , just not positive.I'm sure someone more knowledgable than I will chime in .

·
Registered
144 Posts
The center brace might already have 2 holes in it on each side for the front studs but not through the skin, they can be used for reference if they're there, 68-70's the holes are there on the non-ss hood, not absolutely sure on 72.
and the factory super sport hoods will have a support bracket on each side for the rear holes.

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,064 Posts
68-70's the holes are there on the non-ss hood, not absolutely sure on 72.
I'm pretty sure 72 will have those holes in the inner brace. In fact, even 73 & 74 hoods have those holes even though the SS package in those years no longer included the hood louvers.

·
5,145 Posts
The braces shown would be resistance spot welded at the factory, most people don't have this equipment so the get mig welded.
The holes in the brace are larger than the holes in the hood skin.
Two ways to tell an origianl SS hood from a made up one.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Thank you! Doesn't get much better than that!
Are all nova hoods the same or is there such a thing as an SS hood?
There is such a thing as an SS hood, they have the braces and holes already
in them! look at the underside of the hood and you can easily tell if someone added the braces you can buy, as was mentioned in a post above!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts