Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Super Chevy Indy Any one going?
I am hearing out in the morning.
I will have the nova there stop by the nova section and say Hi !!!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
went to show today and there was only about 50 cars there and only 6 novas I hope more cars show up sat & sunday last i heard it is going to rain.
I will post pictures as soon as I can

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Rick it was nice to meet you at super chevy. I stoped by on sunday after we talked but you were out. How does it feel to have been a particpant in the last Indy super chevy? Hope to see you at the nationals.

Talk to you soon Gary

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Here is a link to the pictures I took.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v83/wingman-1/super chevy 09/

Gary
It was nice meeting you also and glad we got some time to talk cars.
you know I heard more then one person say this was the last year for Indy Super Chevy, we will just have to wate and see, and if it is that makes the two awards that the car got mean that much more!

MarkM68
Saturday was a rain out more cars showed but not like in past years.
sunday was a nice day and I would say around 300 cars show up but I did not count them to know for sure.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Last Super Chevy Indy? Say it ain't so! I'll admit to not being the biggest Super Chevy supporter over the past few years, but still I'd hate to see it come to an end - I do have a few fond memories of past shows out there.

Honestly, though, they've got to use a little common sense if they want to keep their numbers up. First off, get your show off of the weekend that competes with Goodguys Columbus. They have fought that battle for a few years now, and obviously they lost. GG Columbus is one of the biggest drawing shows in the country. Move the date.

Second, Super Chevy is a bit expensive for most folks - especially when they charge you full admission for any passengers you might have, as well as additional (tow) vehicles. The prices just drive folks away, especially families. Last year my family of four went to Super Chevy Indy and it was right at $100 just for admission. That's a really tough sell in this economy. Speaking of Goodguys, they let the driver AND a passenger in for the cost of admission. Every little bit helps, and yes, this does make a difference when you are torn between GG and Super Chevy, as many folks in Indiana/Ohio/Michigan/Illinois/Kentucky areas often are.

Finally, and this is my personal soapbox - STOP MAKING IT A CAMARO DRIVEN SHOW!!!! I can't tell you how many people I know who have sworn off Super Chevy forever because of the discrepancy (and favortism) that Super Chevy engages in when it comes to Camaros. Don't believe me? Pick up a copy of any recent Super Chevy mag and look at the class breakdown for Sunday awards. They have 5, 10, 15 times as many classes and awards for Camaros as they do for any other model of Chevy. Yes, in many cases Camaros do tend to outnumber the other models of cars present at a S/C show, but some of the classes they have come up with over the years is ridiculous.

A few years ago, at S/C Indy, they finally set the straw that broke this camel's back. Camaro class was divided into some ridiculous set of categories (67 RS only, 68 Convertible only, 69 SS only, etc.). Novas? A bit more generic. 62-67 and 68 and newer, and that was it. There were like 50-60 Novas competing for what amounted to 6 or 7 awards, and virtually every Camaro on the grounds walked away with a trophy. That type of favortism is great for the Camaro guys, but for the rest of us it sends a message that we are welcome, but not wanted.

Of course, the matter that hurt this weekend the most was the weather. Honestly, I had seriously considered going but the weather on Friday night/Saturday was just atrocious. I don't mind my car getting rained on, but when you factor in all of the rain that the Indy area got, plus the cost of the show, plus the fact that I don't own a Camaro, the end answer is that I'd just as soon stay at home. Obviously there are more than 300 great Chevy's in the Indianapolis area, so my guess is that I'm not alone in reaching that conclusion.

Hate to see what used to be a great show go downhill, but when you mismanage your show and you treat certain portions of your participants like left-over garbage, that's what happens I guess.

My hope is that someone will step in and turn it around before it goes away forever. I hope that effort doesn't come too late.

Sorry for the long-winded post. Had a lot on my chest there, I guess. Look forward to seeing some of you guys at the Nationals.

J

·
Registered
67 Posts
Jason,

You hit the nail on the head. SCS Indy has forgotten there are other classes beside Camaro! Prices too high - exactly! Another thing I have noticed is that they do not care about the local Chevy car clubs that may help bring in more spectators and paticipants. When was the last time you heard them give out a club participation award ( It is listed on their website! ). I do not want to see SCS Indy go away but you cannot have a car show in Indianapolis when Good-Guys Columbus is going on!! They tried a June date in 2008 but the numbers went down so they moved back to July for 2009. Everbody saw what happened! If they would have left it alone in June then people would be getting used to the new date and make arrangements. Some people plan their vacations around these events and would like it to stay in June not July. Roger Gustin needs to take a different approach with SCS Indy and possibly the other SCS shows before they all vanish into thin air.

Ron

·
Registered
77 Posts
super Chevy

super Chevy was the premier show in Indy for 20 + years and now it has less cars than any of our local shows. Friday they wouldn't let us in until 9:40. the organization is horrible. no big vendors. very few food vendors. the pro motor needs to hear from all of us about this. i will not waste my time going to this show again. :mad:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts