Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother's Chevelle project is kind of at a standstill and he's kind of debating selling it since he can't afford bodywork for a while.

Rather than get rid of it, I figured why not try our hand using Summit's single stage paint, but I do not know very much about the paint process.

The car itself is stripped down and is in tan primer, the panels are straight and don't need rust repair, and we have most of the tools we need (60gal 30A compressor, orbital sander, files, body hammers, HVLP gun, filters, etc). I've painted a lot of suspension stuff with the gun and done some leading and filler work before.

Has anybody used this stuff? We aren't looking to get a show quality paint job, just something passable for the time being.

Any body guys out there want to share how they would attack a home paint job?

·
Registered
843 Posts
There's a thread somewhere titled "garage paint jobs" that has a lot of good info.

The only thing I would worry about using cheaper paints is durability. Out here I've seen paint go bad from the sun in less than a year. On a car with clear coat, the clear will go bad. Then the car looks like its losing its shine/peeling.

Is the car going to be stored in a building or climate controlled shop? If it is, I might give it a shot. The only thing that would scare me is investing all that time, effort and hard work and then having the paint go bad in a short period of time.

If it was Summit paint or selling the car, then I wouldn't hesitate to try the Summit!

·
Registered
482 Posts
I've used it. It's not bad for a cheap paint. It's a major brand that's relabeled. It's valspar or Sherman Williams.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's a thread somewhere titled "garage paint jobs" that has a lot of good info.

The only thing I would worry about using cheaper paints is durability. Out here I've seen paint go bad from the sun in less than a year. On a car with clear coat, the clear will go bad. Then the car looks like its losing its shine/peeling.

Is the car going to be stored in a building or climate controlled shop? If it is, I might give it a shot. The only thing that would scare me is investing all that time, effort and hard work and then having the paint go bad in a short period of time.

If it was Summit paint or selling the car, then I wouldn't hesitate to try the Summit!
Thanks! That was my thought- sell or paint, why not paint?

The car will be stored in a pole barn and driven maybe a 5-7 times per year. As it is I bought skates to put under it as it doesn't move often.

Thanks for the link, I'll poke around.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would save my pennies for a base coat/clear coat 2 stage system. I hear good things about Summit's BC/CC stuff though.

I haven't met a single stage paint that holds up to UV exposure or scratches/swirls.

Really, if you're going to go through all the work, why not put on the clear while you are at it?
Well, the car doesn't deserve an awesome paint job just yet as it needs some panel work and so forth to be just right. It's a gutted drag car that we are trying to make presentable on the cheap. I'm not trying to imply we plan on half-assing it, but going base/clear etc is a bit much given the situation, the budget, and our skill level at body work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts