Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody used one of the summit universal kits? Wondering how the fit is and how much modification is needed. I am looking at this one.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-680102-NM/
I know I will have to cut pipes to length but don't want to have to be rebending anything. I have dynomax mufflers already and this looks like a good kit for the rest, just don't want to order something that doesn't fit. Any first hand experience? Or know anyone who has put one on. This will be going on a 1970 nova.

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts
WOAH! 3"?!?! Whatcha got under the hood, a 700 HP big block? :turn:

I'm in the process of putting the final welds on my 2.5" Summit dual exhaust. I'm doing a X-pipe, so the installation is a bit more involved than a bolt-on. If it weren't for me monkeying around with the X-pipe, it would have been a cakewalk. The bends are in all the right places, and it fits well - even with my rear sway bar.

Check out the last page on my build thread. :)

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No 700hp big block. Just a 400sbc. It's nothing special and 3" is probably overkill but I already have the mufflers and it won't hurt anything to be a little big on the exhaust. Looks like the kit fits pretty good on your project thread so I will be ordering.

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
I used the Jegs 3" for my 72.. had some minor shortening of one tail pipe.... recommend you have a muffler shop install.. much easier on the back:D..

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used the Jegs 3" for my 72.. had some minor shortening of one tail pipe.... recommend you have a muffler shop install.. much easier on the back:D..
I still have one of those young backs.:devil: I think I can get it done.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
$221.90 shipped for an exhaust without mufflers. Not bad.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i was thinking of just getting the x pipes the $80 ones :yes: but ill see
I thought about summit's x-pipe kit but it's not necessary for this little street car. You will need tailpipes if you just buy the x-pipe unless you dump the exhaust before the axle.

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
I thought about summit's x-pipe kit but it's not necessary for this little street car. You will need tailpipes if you just buy the x-pipe unless you dump the exhaust before the axle.
ya i was actually gonna get them before the axle maybe haha im not sure i might have them come out on the sides like before the back wheels

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I just installed that kit on my 71, it fits good. I was going to use the x-pipe kit with it, but it was going to be a little more involved than I wanted to get into right now, but the basic kit you listed fits pretty nice.

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
I just installed that kit on my 71, it fits good. I was going to use the x-pipe kit with it, but it was going to be a little more involved than I wanted to get into right now, but the basic kit you listed fits pretty nice.
what did you get? h pipes? cause im wondering if a shop is gona have to do a lot to make it fit

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Mine is the standard kit with no crossover tube. I bought the X-pipe seperately, but didn't install it. All I had to do to install it was cut the tubes to lentgh.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Anyone used these on a wagon yet?

I keep reading how they work great on all the 2 doors but what about my wagon? Also, 2 1/4 or 2 1/2"? I am shooting for only about 350-375 hp on a daily driver. Anything is going to be better than the 1 7/8 going to 2" mufflers I have right now.

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Has anybody used one of the summit universal kits? Wondering how the fit is and how much modification is needed. I am looking at this one.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-680102-NM/
I know I will have to cut pipes to length but don't want to have to be rebending anything. I have dynomax mufflers already and this looks like a good kit for the rest, just don't want to order something that doesn't fit. Any first hand experience? Or know anyone who has put one on. This will be going on a 1970 nova.
It looks just like my 2 1/2 I bought from summit.......It fit great........Why 3" ?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I too am looking at a Summit kit. When I first put the motor in my 66 I bought a 2 1/4" header back system from Heartthrob since I had a set of chassis headers that came with the car. I bought this kit back in the mid 90's. Later on I decided to ditch the headers for stock manifolds so I just had some down tubes bent and connected them to the existing exhaust. I've never liked the way the tail pipes are bent. There is too much length between the bend coming out of the muffler and the top bend. My mufflers hang down too low and I can't raise them up any more because the tail pipes will hit the body. How does the Summit kit fit in this area? I don't like the bottom of my mufflers hanging lower than my axle which is what I've got now.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Im worried about the spare tire well

I know that will be my trouble spot for fit. May take a few inches out of the corner to make it fit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts