Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Longtime follower of the site, but have posted very few times. This is such a great resource! I have a 70 Nova with a 350 and 4 speed.

I stumbled across these Summit full length headers today. T-304 stainless with 3/8" flange. Not polished, but I figure being 304 they would hold their appearance well. Since my post count is so low I am unable to post link just yet, but here is the part #:

Summit part # SUM-G9001-SS

I currently have 10 year old Dynomax cerama-coats that have had rust on them since year 2... Looking to step up and get something that will hold up and not be an eyesore.

Was hoping to get some opinions on 304. I'm not even worried if they do brown a little, so long as there isn't rust/coating flaking off. I know if something sounds too good to be true it probably is, but the $300 price tag makes me want to take a chance.

Any thoughts/tips are appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know. I think I may just go for it. I've read other posts about the same model number, just painted, or coated. The only thing I've read negative is the dent they put on the driver's side #1 tube. Any worries with excessive heat since they are not coated? Not racing, just cruising.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
not all 304 is created equal. depending upon mainly where in the world it is manufactured. the range of material makeup for all stainless is somewhat wide and depending upon where in that range the stainless falls the results of performance differs. typically 304 will rust depending upon humidity and exposure to salt and chlorides. humidity alone will cause rust. i think i read you reside in indiana and if that is in sinus alley the combination of heat and humidity will promote rust. exposure to heat/humidity/salt in any combination promotes rust on stainless. the salt can even be in the air as areas by either coast or gulf. best of luck.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g9001-ss/overview/make/chevrolet/model/monte-carlo

Can't beat the price. I like them, but haven't ever used them or seen them myself.:yes:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I'm in Indiana. I drive it as an occasional weekend cruiser. It never sees rain. Since they may be prone to rust as well, is there any preventative maintenance/cleaning that can be done to combat that? Since they are not polished, would just a scotch-brite pad be ok?

Thanks

·
Registered
344 Posts
Definitely don't use a scotch-brite, you'll just scuff the surface finish.

You'd be better off buying something like a foam fingered buffing wheel and then polishing them with some aluminum polish. They won't stay shiny forever, as stainless does dull. Not much you can do about that.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
They appear to be the same design as my JEGS long tube headers. Probably same header and mfg. but stainless steel. Mine are regular steel ,not stainless. I would buy mine again though. 5 yrs old and doing pretty good.

However I also needed to dimple #3 and also #6 for boot clearance. #6 is the most challenging to get the boot back on once off. I also needed to flatten slightly to not rub my clutch linkage.

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
1,995 Posts
However I also needed to dimple #3 and also #6 for boot clearance. #6 is the most challenging to get the boot back on once off. I also needed to flatten slightly to not rub my clutch linkage.
Are your heads angle plug or straight?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts