Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Summit roller rocker cracked... Update. Summit sent a new one!

When I was putting my engine together again this weekend I noticed a small crack on one of my rockers.

Summit branded 1.6 7/16 roller rockers.
I have done about 50 passes with them last year. Brand new last year.
The crack goes from one side starting at the hole for "bolt" for the roller tip and goes half around the nose of the rocker.
Very scary. I notices the crack after adjusting play and everything while double checking something else.
I can just imagen what all those needle rollers would have done to my engine......

Any other with similar experience with Summits rockers?

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Ahh so! U-got what ya paid for!

Harland Sharp has a lifetime warranty, made here in the USA!

Not China!

Sorry.
Not mint to gig ya, off brand cheep parts will bite you most of the time.

Al

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Not China!

Sorry.

Al
I did some research and what I found on forums (also here at Steve's) claim the Summit rockers been made by either Scorpion or another brand. If they are done in Chine I have no idea.
And in general people sounded pleased with them.

But I guess I run a bit more spring load and rpm than "usual" for people buying cheap stuff....

Next set will for sure be an expensive one :-/
As it looks now it will be Crane Gold Race...

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
For high rpm and spring pressures I like the Comp Cams stainless steel rockers. Steel is much more durable than aluminum.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have a set that have been used and abused!!!!!!!!!!! 1.5's going on five years and were used in a Cheap Street motor that raced two years in the 9.70's 1/4. Both motors are flat tappets = moderate spring pressure.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts

Not China!

Sorry.

Al
I bought summit rockers a 13 or so years back, when I recieved them and they had the "made in china" sticker on them I sent them right back and bought the harland sharps. They have lasted all these years. Worth the extra bucks IMO.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have been running Summit 1.5 roller rockers on my 415CI SBC engine for the last 7 years, with no problems. At the time I purchased them, they were made by Crane, same with the Trick Flow branded rockers. Summit uses various suppliers from time to time to produce their "in-house" products. Like any other parts, some may escape inspection and wear out or break prematurely, but Summit doesn't purposefully sell "junk". If you have issues with their products, call customer service. I have always found that Summit really tries to go "above and beyond" when resolving customer issues. Having said that, I generally have found that the old adage, "You get what you pay for", is true. You might try Comp Cams Pro Magnum rockers, or Crower stainless steel rockers if you truly want bullet-proof rocker arms for a reasonable price. If price is not a consideration, there is always Jesel.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I got a set of Summit branded Scorpions a year ago, made in the USA, very nice quality. At the same time I got a set of Harland Sharp. I was not impressed with HS and returned them. The Scorpions had a larger trunion, larger spring clearance, nicer machine work and better anodizing.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Like any other parts, some may escape inspection and wear out or break prematurely, but Summit doesn't purposefully sell "junk". If you have issues with their products, call customer service. I have always found that Summit really tries to go "above and beyond" when resolving customer issues. Having said that, I generally have found that the old adage, "You get what you pay for", is true.
so true. summit has been great on cust service for me as well.

and I am running their "cheap" roller rockers as well. the comp cams gold ones would be nice but not at twice the price.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Took a picture of the rocker when I was out at the garage..

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
I feel your pain.Last year my crane golds broke in two at the trunion and the needles went into the engine. Had to pull the motor apart to find all of them and didnt hurt the motor. Was at a end of a cruise so I was lucky. apon inspection I found my other rockers had cracks in them also.
Greg

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so true. summit has been great on cust service for me as well.

and I am running their "cheap" roller rockers as well. the comp cams gold ones would be nice but not at twice the price.
Just to let you all know.
I sent Summit Customer Service a nice message "just inform them what happened" (not asking for anything) and attached the photo. (this was late last week).
Today a new rocker arrived with the mail!

So "quality" can of cause be argued (who make what, china vs us made etc) for ever, but one thing is clear:
Summit take customer care seriously and they stand behind their products.

I'm very pleased with the outcome in the end. I now have a complete set as spare part.
(I did install Crane Gold instead)

Anders
Spånga, Sweden

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
So "quality" can of cause be argued (who make what, china vs us made etc) for ever, but one thing is clear:
Summit take customer care seriously and they stand behind their products.

Anders
Spånga, Sweden
great point!

I can attest to Summit customer service also!

They do take care of there customers!

I have had 2 issues with very positive outcomes!

And when the manufacture was told I purchased from Summit, everything changed!

Something to be said for power buying!

AL

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Everything I've ever read, states, lighter roller rockers do not make more power. The only significant difference is the strength of the rocker, will be more consistent and not flex.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Everything I've ever read, states, lighter roller rockers do not make more power. The only significant difference is the strength of the rocker, will be more consistent and not flex.
Sure enough! I'd change out the set to the chromoly one's if I were on the street alot! They can certainly take the punishment of daily use.

It's interesting that the factory can use the aluminum rockers, but they're certainly not under the stress of 600# springs.

rob

1 - 19 of 19 Posts