Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm just posting these photos for some of you with 1st gen cars that are running the Summit 19" x 26" universal radiators. Site member "Chevyii" asked for a few photos, so I though I would post them too. Sorry it's not yet installed in my car. Many of you are running Taurus fans. I decide to go with the Flexalite Black Magic Extreem fan. It moves 3900 CFM of air and draws 18 amps doing it. As you can see from the photos, it covers almost the entire core of the radiator. I did trim one side just around the water neck of the radiator. I am hoping to have no cooling issues with this car.
Ron

Edit....photos re-posted.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Looks nice. A pretty good fitting fan for that rad. With those kind of cfm's I can't see you having any problems keeping cool.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I like that setup. What are you going to run for fan switch? The reason I ask is I'm going full electric fans in my Suburban.

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Felxalite Black Magic Extreem comes with a fully adjustable thermostat. It has a probe that gets pressed into the radiator fins and there is a small contoll box with a rotary knob to adjust the turn-on point. The box also has a relay in it. Looks pretty complete, but I am not sure about the capilary probe that gets pressed into the core......Looks a little messy to me. I may just buy a 180 fan switch and screw it into the side of one of the heads or up top on the intake manifold.
Ron

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The fan comes with some universal brackets. I used them, but I cut them down quite a bit. Then radiused all the corners, sanded then smooth and sent them off to the powder coater with a bunch of other parts. Should look good when its all done.
Ron

·
Registered
710 Posts
The Felxalite Black Magic Extreem comes with a fully adjustable thermostat. It has a probe that gets pressed into the radiator fins and there is a small contoll box with a rotary knob to adjust the turn-on point. The box also has a relay in it. Looks pretty complete, but I am not sure about the capilary probe that gets pressed into the core......Looks a little messy to me. I may just buy a 180 fan switch and screw it into the side of one of the heads or up top on the intake manifold.
Ron
I am running nearly this exact setup on my 3rd-gen (1972), except I have the 19"x26" universal radiator from Jeg's rather than Summit. I too had to trim the fan around the lower water neck which was no big deal, took only about 5 minutes. Besides the excellent fit and the clean, finished look of this fan/radiator combo, I will also say that the I really like the control box that comes with it. It made the installation and wiring very simple, and the control knob allows you to have the fan kick on at whatever temp you want. I also like that this fan came prewired to connect to my A/C compressor so that it kicks on automatically whenever the A/C is running. The temp. probe that presses through the radiator core worked fine for me, no issues whatsoever. With this radiator/fan setup, my 476hp 383 with 10.1:1 compression and air conditioning has never exceeded 195 deg. while driving in the 100+ deg. summer heat of Houston, TX. In fact, 95% of the time the temp stays right between 180 and 185deg. It may not be as cheap as a Taurus fan, but the ease of installation and operation with the control box made it worth the extra $$$ money for me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I run a Be Cool 19 X 26 in my '66. I also used the Flexalite 180 fan. Lemme tell you, that thing is AWESOME!!! It pulls a massive amount of air when it kicks on and it only stays on for about a minute. I have it set to kick on at 195 and it goes off about 185.

I also ran a bottle of "Purple Ice" just in case, I wanted no overheating issues whatsoever. I run a mix of 1 bottle of antifreeze and the rest distilled water too. Doesn't get that cold here and the car won't see anything below freezing.

Here's a pic of what it looks like in the car.

Oh and I did have a clearance issue. I redid the mounting brackets on the radiator and swapped out the clip on the fan for a lower profile e-clip. I have about a 1/4" of clearance between the fan motor and water pump bolts.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
ive had my black magic extreme on during the summer months down here, with that probe running into the radiator and ive never had any trouble..car never gets hot either

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey guys,
Thanks for the feedback. I like the adjustable fan control thermostat and the fact that it will switch on when the AC compressor kicks in as I am installing Vintage Air on my 62. I guess I will go ahead and use the temp probe.
Ron

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Man this thread is great news to me. I've got a build sheet for a 500 hp 383, and this is the fan I was planning on getting, so it's good to know that there's people with 383's that have no heat issues. :)

Matt

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
hi 62civa, that's a nice setup you using. i didn't know the shroud was that big. looks like a matched set. i have a question for you or anyone else here. is it possible to wire the fan up to make it a 2 speeder? i mean when you have the a/c on,make it run at 2000-2500 cfm's and full power at the temp you have set the thermostat at ?:confused: this way you will always have air moving thru the condenser to help the a/c work better. what do you think?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
That looks GREAT !!!

Not to hi jack the thread, but are you all removing your machincal fans once you install your electric or running both?

-Brent Thomas
Ohio

·
Registered
710 Posts
Not to hi jack the thread, but are you all removing your machincal fans once you install your electric or running both?
There's no need and no room for the mechanical fan. It's not a great pic, but you can see how it all fits in a 3rd gen.

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Novafied,
It's a one speed fan. I design electronics for a living (www.professionalsound.com) so I am thinking about designing a variable speed controller for the fan. Possibly it could control the speed in proportion to engine temp. Hotter = faster, cooler = slower. I think I could use a temp gauge sender and build a controller based on it's input. Then again, that might be serious overkill:D I'll worry about that latter as I still have a lot of body work and painting to do first.
Ron

·
Registered
710 Posts
I am thinking about designing a variable speed controller for the fan. Possibly it could control the speed in proportion to engine temp. Hotter = faster, cooler = slower.
That's a very cool idea, especially if you have the know-how to make something like that work. Let us know if you decide to try that, I'd be interested to hear how it works.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts