Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What did you do for a petcock with the summit universal rads????

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
I did not use/need a petcock. I remove my antifreeze by 1. The old way - disconnect bottom hose with bucket under. 2. now I use a vac pump with a catch can and just suck it out. If you have a compressor, you can get a venturi vac device from harbor freight for $10 that works great (just is a bit noisy) and once you get flow going you really dont need the vac if the container is on the ground. This set up works well for other liquids like trany fluid etc. Click here for pic of vac pump : http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3952

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Pro-touring72 said:
What did you do for a petcock with the summit universal rads????

Hey its not just the universal ones that are missing the petcock. My 4 core rad (looks factory to me...maybe its not however:confused: ) doesnt have them either. What I do is open the petcocks on either side of my motor (down near the oilpan about mid way from the front of the motor) and when they stop draining I pull the lower rad hose to finish it...not super convient but it works:)

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I think you have to special order the drain plug hole to get that. I haven't seen a radiator with a drain in a long time but Griffin is just down the road and everyone locally runs them. RM

·
Premium Member
8,047 Posts
You can also pressurize the radiator kind the same way as above to get the flow started. I use a piece of 1/2 aluminum linein candy cane shape with a hose on the end. You put that down in the radiator and seal around it and a blow nozzel at the top with a rag. Allow a small amount of pressure into the radiator and anti-freeze will come out the line. It will start a ciphining on the line and drain the radiator in no time.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought os siphening after I posted this. ..

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
I added a 1/4" alum bung (Summit-Jegs) for the petcock. If you don't have the means to weld this I'm sure a local shop would do this for a minimum
charge. It's a pretty thick tank, so the welding isn't to tricky. If you go
this route the last couple treads on the rad side of the bung may have to
be ground slightly to let the petcock close properly, so check before
welding.
Rich

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
I've got petcock drains in my block like 69NovaSS. A bit messy but it works.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I have that same Summit radiator and I was kind of pissed when I had to drain it a few weeks ago before pulling the motor. I've thought about taking it to a radiator shop to add a petcock, but it really wasn't that bad to siphon the fluid out. Just make sure you use a clear hose that is PLENTY long so you can see the fluid coming, which I didn't do the first time. :eek: :mad: Yuck!

·
Registered
710 Posts
66RICH said:
Jeg's has alum 1/4" bungs, #555-15251 $3.69
Yep, only $3.69 and free shipping but $8.95 for "handling".:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
IM sure summit has one and the cost would be a 10 minute drive... :D

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
how to drain a summit radiator in 8 steps:

1. remove shirt
2. remove pants
3. put on swim shorts
4. place goggles and snorkel on head
5. remove lower radiator hose
6. dry off with old towel
7. throw swim shorts away
8. clean goggles

nothing like an antifreeze bath to cool off on a summer day. just don't go for a drive first...:D

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
sproosemoose said:
how to drain a summit radiator in 8 steps:

1. remove shirt
2. remove pants
3. put on swim shorts
4. place goggles and snorkel on head
5. remove lower radiator hose
6. dry off with old towel
7. throw swim shorts away
8. clean goggles

nothing like an antifreeze bath to cool off on a summer day. just don't go for a drive first...:D

Been there done that...and can laugh about it now....very funny...lmao...:D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Guys
I did a search on the site for you fellows out there replacing your radiators and up grading to Aluminum .

I would have to say I have seen some guys going trough some major head aches ...and there some really good fabricators here ... my hats off to them .. spending untold hours of design and fabrication to put in some of the after market products in ..cross flow conversions your 1st gen ..and big block conversions for 2nd gen ..a lot of work being done out there .

There are some member who have used our products here ...and some that still don’t know about
Alumitech Reproductions
Correct fit down flow radiators

We are well known on Team Chevelle and Team Camaro .. Camaros.net .
So I thought I would drop by to say hi .

I am here to help with cooling problems ...so feel free to ask any questions you like .

here's a link to Nova Chevy II stuff for the guys looking for correct fit rads

http://www.chevellecooling.com/47.html?sm=8859

Don
517-404-6262

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alumitech. With all the product hocking you do on here (Ive searched all your posts) you should donate to the site.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Pro-touring72 said:
Alumitech. With all the product hocking you do on here (Ive searched all your posts) you should donate to the site.
not a problem ... where do I sign up.

I am a member of Team Chevelle and Camaros .net
Member ship cost are no big deal .. but I dont see where I can become a paid member here ?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts