Chevy Nova Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Yes--bummer for sure... I'm thinking these have been this way for a while so the debris is hopefully laying on bottom of the pan or in oil filter...You would never have known by the way it sounded that these were in such bad shape --9 damaged in this same way....a little racket but not too bad. Does anyone know why or how this could have happened... CHEAP STEEL?? Has any one ever seen this happen??

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
After thinking it through, I remember over-reving about a year ago. This must be when the pushrods got messed up. They will be replaced with one-piece rods along with new rockers. In the meantime, moving ahead on replacing the heads. Have it almost cleaned up and ready to install new heads... BTW--After preliminary inspection, the rocker studs look pretty uniform...I will measure them. Even if the problem wasn't that they were pulling out, I am still glad to do this swap. Hopefully this weekend I will get new heads on and torqued down.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive air manifold Automotive design

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part Automotive super charger part

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
QUESTION: It's been about 10 yrs since I've done this... After I clean up cylinder walls, what should I use to lube the walls for startup? Any recommendations? Thanks--Kim

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
I just coated the cylinder walls with oil and installed passenger side head last night. Wednesday I should be able to get drivers head and hopefully pushrods, rockers, intake... I am using new ARP bolts this time. 10yrs ago I used the originals...

Automotive tire Sleeve Motor vehicle Font Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Vehicle Gas Auto part Nut

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
NEW QUESTION! Before I put on the last head I tried one of the old spark plugs to see how they fit...
I have used Autolite #26 since I built engine 10 yrs ago... But they don't seem to fit the same as in the old head... They don't screw in as deep (these are in finger tight) ... Any thoughts?

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design

Automotive lighting Eyewear Personal protective equipment Rim Tints and shades

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Haven't had much time but did 2 things this evening. Tested the pushrod length and with stock length 7.8" rods the rockers hit in the middle of the valve stems which is where they should hit if length is correct. I expected this but wanted to test to make sure. I got the new rods and rockers installed... next step to adjust them and then re-install intake...on Wednesday.
Motor vehicle Car Hood Vehicle Automotive design

41 - 47 of 47 Posts