Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently running a Summit k1107 cam (234,[email protected],.488,.510 lift and 114ls.)in my 355 with Dart pro1 200cc heads and 10:1 compression.I have a 3500 stall ,4:56 10 bolt also in my 72 Nova.The car idles and drives fine but doesn't seem to pull like I think it should in the midrange.It has a 650 holley d.p. and performer rpm intake.Has anyone run one of these cams in their small block or have any thoughts on my combo? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The only experience I have had with a Summit cam it shelled out during break in and they told me to pound sand. That was about 12 years ago though.

If your cam lived through break in I don't see how it could be any worse than the same grind cam made by another company.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I believe that is an elgin cam. Same as the edelbrock rpm, I think. I had one im my 350 with ported double humps,turbo 350 with a 3000 stall, 4.10 gears and a victor jr with a 750dp. It went 12.70's. It pulled ok.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
I am running the elgin e921P pro stock cam, smaller cam stats than the 1107 from summit but identical to the summit 1104. Stock 350 with Edelbrock RPM and 600 cfm carb. Very strong puller from 2200 to 5500 RPM.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Check your cid to cfm, sounds like you could go up a bit carb wise.
The ventury size from 650 to 750 is a bit bigger and flows more air.
Might help.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies,I was thinking of trying my 750 speed demon again ,I took it off and found the 650 was easier to tune and didn't foul the plugs as quickly,but I'll give it another try.Also this cam came in an engine kit from a machine shop so it probably is an Elgin cam.Thanks.:yes:

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
If you aren't pulling manifold vacuum at WOT peak load then your carb is not too small.
If the problem is not fuel (too lean or too rich at midrange), I would first look at spark advance curve.

What specific rpm range does the power go flat (if that's what's happening) and does it pickup at higher rpm?

Peak cylinder pressure occurs at or around peak torque rpm. This is the point you are most likely to detonate. It may not be audible over the sound of the engine. Power will fall off even when borderline to audible.

Are you sure your CR is 10:1? Did you measure the volumes and compute it exactly?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys,now I have a few things to look at more closely,my timing is set at 38total,I recently added a stop screw to keep it from over advancing,It is a factory H.E.I. with msd 6al.My vaccuum advance is hooked to full manifold vaccuum and I'm running the the lightest springs (quickest curve) .Paul,you've got me thinking about peak cylinder pressure at peak torque... detonation?My car is loud (mufflers right at the headers-no full exhaust yet).When I roll into the throttle at 2500rpm it's pretty loud ..maybe I need to pull some timing out .I'll go play in the morning ,Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
That cam is sold by Edelbrock as the Performer RPM, it's sold by Wolverine as a Blue Racer series, as well as anybody else that wants to stick their name on it! It's just a 20 year old generic grind. I ran it in a 391" that went 12's with 3.36 gears and a stock converter.

·
Registered
508 Posts
not a big fan! 114 LS bleeds off to much cyl presure and lacks pop. IMO a cam with a 109- 110 works alot beter for a N/A motor and sounds beter too. if your looking at flat tappet cams a comp 292h is a great hyd. cam that sounds nasty and makes great power for a hyd. .501 IN & EX with 244 @ 50 on a 110 LS. great street cam.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
not a big fan! 114 LS bleeds off to much cyl presure and lacks pop. IMO a cam with a 109- 110 works alot beter for a N/A motor and sounds beter too. if your looking at flat tappet cams a comp 292h is a great hyd. cam that sounds nasty and makes great power for a hyd. .501 IN & EX with 244 @ 50 on a 110 LS. great street cam.
I have read a few articles which agree with what you're saying,generally a wider L.S. has a lower cranking compression with slightly better idle vaccuum,but shorter L.S. (106-110) performs better?If I had to make the choice again I would have chosen a different cam,but I built the engine over 5 years ago ...hindsight is 20-20 I guess,not sure if it's the best match for my Pro-1 darts either.From what I read a single pattern is probably my best bet.Thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts